can you put more than one mantid in a n enclosure without them murdering eachother

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea is if it is a "friendly" species and well fed, they should be ok. Don't ever be in the situation where two mantids that you care about are in a tank together and hungry, but yes, as mentioned, idolos, violins, ghosts etc. are ok. as for how many, that depends on their adult size. Idolos need a lot of space to molt. I can't speak for any other species, but you don't want them crowding eachother during molting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most mantids will eat each other. sisters and brothers and children. there are a few species that are more communal like ghost. however, for the most part they will eat each other...sisters and brothers!

They are rally nice to people and your relatives though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some can do okay together, but enclosure size presents its own challenges. Very large enclosures make feeding more difficult.

Ghosties...I have two 32oz delicups with 3 pre-sub in them (one set of males and one set of females) who have not munched on each other.

(so far) and a couple more with two each. I did pick out the "big" ones and put them seperately thinking they were the cannibals of the group.

cant tell if I am right or wrong in my reasoning but it has workd so far for months with no further losses.

There are no 100% communal species but some are pretty close. The most communal will very rarely cannibalize, and semi-communal should be separated at least by sex as pre- or subadult. Of course always have food available to prevent cannibalism and allow plenty of space. Very easy to inclease surface area by adding branches and fake vines with lots of hiding places.

Here is a list of the species I've kept communally...

Most Communal Species:

Gongylus gongylodes (Wandering Violin Mantis)

Heterochaeta orientalis

Humbertiella ceylonica (Indian Bark Mantis)

Idolomantis diabolica

Oxyothespis dumonti (North African Grass Mantis)

Pseudoharpax Virescens (Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis)

Semi-Communal Species:

Ephestiasula pictipes (Purple Boxer Mantis)

Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghosts Mantis)

Phyllovates chlorophaea (Texas Unicorn Mantis)

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii (Spiny Flower Mantis)

Oxyopsis gracilis (Paraguayan Mantis)

Sibylla pretiosa (Cryptic Mantis)

Sinomantis denticulata (Glass Mantis)

There are no 100% communal species but some are pretty close. The most communal will very rarely cannibalize, and semi-communal should be separated at least by sex as pre- or subadult. Of course always have food available to prevent cannibalism and allow plenty of space. Very easy to inclease surface area by adding branches and fake vines with lots of hiding places.

Here is a list of the species I've kept communally...

Most Communal Species:

Gongylus gongylodes (Wandering Violin Mantis)

Heterochaeta orientalis

Humbertiella ceylonica (Indian Bark Mantis)

Idolomantis diabolica

Oxyothespis dumonti (North African Grass Mantis)

Pseudoharpax Virescens (Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis)

Semi-Communal Species:

Ephestiasula pictipes (Purple Boxer Mantis)

Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghosts Mantis)

Phyllovates chlorophaea (Texas Unicorn Mantis)

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii (Spiny Flower Mantis)

Oxyopsis gracilis (Paraguayan Mantis)

Sibylla pretiosa (Cryptic Mantis)

Sinomantis denticulata (Glass Mantis)
all the semi comunal i want, they look awesome

all the semi comunal i want, they look awesome
I have available:

Ephestiasula pictipes (Purple Boxer Mantis) ooths and nymphs

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii (Spiny Flower Mantis) pairs soon

Oxyopsis gracilis (Paraguayan Mantis) pairs and ooths soon

I have a subadult pair of Sinomantis denticulata (Glass Mantis). Keep your fingers crossed!

I have available:

I have a subadult pair of Sinomantis denticulata (Glass Mantis). Keep your fingers crossed!
let me know how those glass mantids do, those are adorbs.

I have available:

in fact it was your profile i saw the video of one eating and i fell in love

Oh yeah I meant to ask you about those, I was talking to you on YouTube about them LONG before I joined the forum.How are they on the communal scale?

Latest posts