Carolina Mantid Sexing?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow94

Reaction score
I've read that female Carolina mantids are green, while the males are either green or brown. Is this accurate? Is it possible for a female to be brown?

Oh yea, that reminds me, someone here said that the orchids can also be indentifiled by the strip on the thorax, it is brown or green, and that was rubbish too! :)

You sex them the same as other mantids.

So no one wants to admit they think the colar color is indication of sex :no: ? I've said it was rubbish in a few post on here this week and no come backs! Come on you guys..... :taz: come on, I'll take you all on! (cowardly lion) wanna
WannaFightAboutIt.gif
fight? , chickens!!!
KickYouwhenyouArentLooking.gif

opps! hubby coming, gotta go! :tt2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yea, that reminds me, someone here said that the orchids can also be indentifiled by the strip on the thorax, it is brown or green, and that was rubbish too! :)
That would be me! Sorry i have been busy at work lately :rolleyes: It is not rubbish! After L3 it is very simple to tell the difference between orchid nymphs that way. It has yet to fail me. I have never seen a female orchid nymph with a brown strip on the thorax. Nor have i ever seen a male nymph with a green strip. the only time the females change to a dark brown/black is when they reach adulthood. Lets have some fun! Rebecca, send me pics of all your orchid nymphs past L2. I bet at a glance i can sex them all for you! :)

Alrighty! a challange, but could u just come here and do it? I can't do it till thursday, so stay tuned and don't let this post die out. I gotta ship tomorrow and wed, and no time for pics:( , gonna be fun!!!!!!!!!! wwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Alrighty! a challange, but could u just come here and do it? I can't do it till thursday, so stay tuned and don't let this post die out. I gotta ship tomorrow and wed, and no time for pics:( , gonna be fun!!!!!!!!!! wwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
No worries, whenever you are ready? Cant wait! This is going to be fun! :p I would post some pics myself, but i actually don't have any orchid nymph pics. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Shadow94. Both male and female carolinas can be both brown or green. I have 5 adult females that are all brown/grey molted color. They are very pretty! :) I don't have any green ones this time around though. :(

The female S. Carolina has shorter wings that only go 3/4 of the way down her abdomen. While the males wings are full length.

Latest posts