Cat food?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gretchen

Reaction score
It's a cooler day outside and Little Miss Mantis is still out there on my porch. I'm really not sure what she's caught on her own to eat, but when I can I've found her some bugs.

I read somewhere that mantids can eat cat food. I just want to make sure she has something to eat.

Unless your cat food is alive and moving, it most likely won't eat it unless you stick it right into it's mouth.

I often wait to catch food at night, there are plenty of moths/critters etc that still come out in this weather. Try staking out a lampost or some outdoor floodlights, they tend to flock there. GL!

What the cat food can do for you is attract some flies, put some in a small bowl outside and sneak up with a net or any container really and you should be able to get quite a few. :)

I dont know about the cat food idea, hmmmm, dont think so ;)

Just go out in the yard with a jar and tweezers and look under some rocks for bugs.

The bigger the rock, all the more bugs :)

Yeah, I know, but it needs to be moving and wiggling to get the mantis attention.

Maybe you could put some on a tooth pick and try to get your mantis to lick it off.

I do that with honey, and cricket puree (smashed cricket guts!! ;)

If you stick it in their face, or smear some on a leg, they will lick it off and discover

that it's yummy to eat!!

Cat food "for catching insects" is probably much better than searching under rocks. If I had no other means, I would try giving mantids cat food temporarily, rather than have them starve.

I have fed mantids Pycnoscelus surinamensis roaches from under debris, and even cultured them for a while, as feeders(feeding them sweet friuts and veggies so they won't be full of decaying wood and plants). But...

most of the bugs that are found under rocks might taste bad and be full of dirt and decaying plant material. I have never heard of mantids looking for food under rocks. They will eat it, but you may be able to do better for them with ease. My mantids would always eat around the dirt ball in the guts of these insects, but usually finish flying insects, or roaches that have a sweet filling.

Flying insects are most likely much tastier and closer to what they get in the wild.

Thank you likebugs ;) , I don't think he knows I'm talking about catching flies? bugs under rock's have a hard shell as a rule bunny, and mantis would rather have soft exoskeleton food if given the choice, trust me bud...

Latest posts