Charoozz's Mantis Collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MantisGirl13 thank you! I think the reason her ooth was so huge was because I was power feeding her the whole time the male mounted. I was so scare of her eating him that I was constantly throwing in flies non stop. She looked like she was gonna exploded before she laid that ooth. 

@MantisGirl13 thank you! I think the reason her ooth was so huge was because I was power feeding her the whole time the male mounted. I was so scare of her eating him that I was constantly throwing in flies non stop. She looked like she was gonna exploded before she laid that ooth. 
My female was power fed roaches the whole time I mated her and she has laid two 1" long ooths. Spinys are bottomless pits!

-MantisGirl13

Just a quick update, the female thistle molted to adult successfully! I was so nervous since @hysteresis seem to have a lot of trouble with them. I think you might be right about using substrate. I have a layer of coco fiber topped with sand. Will get better pictures this weekend, she's gorgeous. 

46952574455_6257f46fc2_k.jpg
47868845381_9fda341648_z.jpg

Ooh, congrats! I'll have to try substrate too. I can't risk losing mine! Do you have a male?

- MantisGirl13

@MantisGirl13 yes I do, surprisingly the Male is taking longer to molt than the female he just molted to sub last week.  Now I have to power feed him so he can catch up!

Well I guess I spoke too soon about the wings...she was fine for two days after the molt I even got some nice pictures:

47837895332_9897c7bdcd_k.jpg

46973760195_17b52c5d98_k.jpg

46973760095_60ae096c4b_k.jpg

But then on Saturday she spread out her wings and has been in this position ever since. It's almost like her wings are permanently stuck in airplane mode and she can't fold them back. I tried helping her but only one of her wing casing folds back properly, she's eating and hunting fine but I am not sure how breeding will go:

47889847141_2286fd57c2_k.jpg

I also put the pair of Parablepharis together this weekend and it was a success, the male connected for about an hour or so then hop off. Hopefully she will give me some healthy viable ooths soon:

46973759955_e9891a13f7_k.jpg

Hmm, that's interesting with the female thistle! She should fix it herself eventually. Try to get her to do a threat pose and flutter her wings. That should fix it.

Congrats on the pairing! I'd love an ooth eventually!

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the female thistle ever fix her wings?  Did you get any ooths from the Parablepharis?

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts