Cloth or aluminum lids 4 insect cup?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seattle79

Reaction score
I will eventually be purchasing insect cups and wanted to know which lids would be better. If I am raising newly hatched mantis nymphs and are using aluminum mesh lids, will small flightless fruit flies be able to pass through the mesh and escape?

Thanks,

-Kevin

at that size use cloth lids but if the aluminum is small enough where the fly wont get out i would use that

If you're using tiny little fruit flies, I would use the cloth lid to avoid escapees. I have a few of my enclosures lined with screen and the little tiny ones can still get out, and I get tired of squishing FFs when they get out.

If you're using tiny little fruit flies, I would use the cloth lid to avoid escapees. I have a few of my enclosures lined with screen and the little tiny ones can still get out, and I get tired of squishing FFs when they get out.
Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated.

-Kevin

You're welcome! If you're using the hydei flies, it doesn't really matter though. I guess I should've said that the first time....
Hydei can also pass through the aluminum lids. I have both but use the cloth 99.9% of the time. The cloth also hold moisture in longer. But for those species that don't grip as well I use the aluminim (bark mantis).

Hydei can also pass through the aluminum lids. I have both but use the cloth 99.9% of the time. The cloth also hold moisture in longer. But for those species that don't grip as well I use the aluminim (bark mantis).
Thanks Rick, I will lean towards the cloth lids then.

-Kevin

Does anyone know where I can get the type of cloth that comes on those lids?

I would like to purchase it by the square foot. It would make good liner for some of my home made cages.

I've found good success with both types of lids for different reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I can't say I've had a hydei escape through the screens. Maybe mine just aren't the sharpest tools in the shed
huh.gif

Really? I can't say I've had a hydei escape through the screens. Maybe mine just aren't the sharpest tools in the shed
huh.gif
Maybe your lids are different. Mine have holes large enough that two hydei could pass through side by side.

Has anyone used the aluminum mesh lids sold @ superior shipping, I've only used the fabric lids.!!
Yeah, I use them. Obviously fruit flies can get out, and once my nymphs are on houseflies, they (generally) move on to bigger cages. Harder to cut the sponge holes, but they hold up better to rigourous cleaning, and vent better.

Latest posts