Communal (Kinda) Chinese Mantises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamonger

Reaction score
Just an interesting observation. Due to space constraints and still having a ton of mantises I have been keeping 3 of them at a time (rotated out as they reach adult or become huge fatties) in my BSF enclosure. *Knock on wood* I have not had a murder yet, I assume they are all far too fat and happy on flies to bother with each other.

Now I would not recommend this! This was merely extreme measures to try to ensure as many of my mantises as possible got to adulthood. Still found it interesting that they seem to be coexisting peacefully.

My very firs tpet mantises were two chinese mantises. I bought 1, and received 2, but since I only had one enclosure ready for them when they arrived, I kept them together all the way through to L5, I think. With plenty of food they never bothered each other either!

Think its just a dangerous balancing act of food/space to keep them together. I know as soon as the brood all hit L5 in their communal nymph tank the murder rate sky rocketed no matter now much food I dumped in there so I think that was due to overcrowding.

Yeah, i am not saying it was a good idea either....just saying I was surprised how it went as well. 

Latest posts