Confession: Haven't seen a WILD mantid since the 90's

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadow98684

Reaction score
I haven't seen or caught a mantid from the outside world since I was a wee lad in the 90's. I'm 20 now. I went through my teen years w/out seeing a single mantid on the road, a leaf, or wherever. I don't know why that is.

The truth is, I joined the community because I missed seeing them, as they are my favorite insect. Possibly favorite creature. Yet, the only way for me to see them now is to hand pick from online. Which I don't mind. But why haven't I seen one in the wild for so long? It's been such a long dry spell! I was actually starting to wonder if they were going extinct before Rebecca and this forum saved me.

What is it? Am I not as receptive on seeing them as I was when I was a kid? Any tips on how to spot them again? I live on a hill with plenty of shrubbery if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the strange thing is in huge fields that go on forever I cannot find a mantis. But in a few places where there is tall grass there are many. It is weird. In South Korea it is different. I always find a mantis in certain places which I call good places because they have many grasshoppers, crickets, roaches and mantids and many other things! But a few kinds of crickets do not live in those type of places. The grass around here grows in little patches and so is not very thick.

Happy are you in South Korea?

I have seen 6-7 wild mantis's this summer in my yard. Some others in friend yards.

I think I've seen more this summer then I ever have though.

In addition to having the eye for them, you also need to be in habitat that can support them. Usually areas that have lots of grasshoppers might have mantids too. If you know of a lake/pond that has shrubs and tall grass along the edge with no trees, try looking there.

I have seen fewer the older I get. And most of what I do see are the introduced species. I used to find Stagmomantis sp. everywhere, but not so now.

There is one place around here that has a whole bunch of Chinese Mantids but it has a lot of trees and the Chinese Mantids live in shaded areas where it is not grass but something else.

I've also noticed the great mantis decline. When I was very little, i used to find a mantis every other day in my yard. This year, only 2. Last year, none. Year before, 1. What's happening? Pesticide spray finally getting to them? Pollution?

I don't see many mantis around, but when I do, they're always climbing up the walls of guildings hanging near lights to catch the moths and whatnot that fly towards them.

It seems like the Carolina Mantids just started. I found a pair mating on a potted plant on our porch. Weird that the females pop up around our house (actually just two :clown: ). I am happy that they did of course.

My area seems to only have limbatas. :lol:

I found 2 limbata females on the same bench in front of a library.

Found a limbata in the yard and tons at school.

Several limbatas popped up in random places.

The only other one I've found is t. Sinensis. And those were in my yard most likely from the ooth I released.

The only other one I've found is t. Sinensis. And those were in my yard most likely from the ooth I released.
Whoa, you are lucky!

Oh, I will start looking for them!
thanx we could trade or somethin

mantidlord and i could use male limbatas :whistling:

thanx we could trade or somethin

mantidlord and i could use male limbatas :whistling:
I do not want you to get your hopes up. I would not be surprised if I did not find one. :unsure: I have not found one in the places I thought I would, (many Chinese Mantids though) just when I see them pop up around here. I guess they do not live in those places. I did find a carolina ootheca in one of those sort of places but no nymphs. I am going outside now around lights to see any that pop up (fly into those lights or those Carolina females running around.

Latest posts