Dmina's mantid collection in progression 2014

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my carolina's molted here are the pics..

dmina in real life did she have a darker yellow spot than in the photo or a different color in anyway from the photo compared to real life?

the chinese have yellow dots, the angustipennis have orange. Both of the tenodera genus. Only chinese is sinensis. And angustipennis are commonly referred to as the narrow winged mantis. I do think it is reliable though. Ive had both sinensis and angustipennis.
In this case the T. angustipennis has a strong colored yellow dot. The camera does sometimes change the color of the dot in T. sinensis by making the yellow a pale yellow color instead of a stronger yellow especially when I use the flash.

They were wild caught oothecae so it's possible - I haven't found any pictures that look like those ooths except carolinas, but I agree the mantid colors are all wrong

dmina in real life did she have a darker yellow spot than in the photo or a different color in anyway from the photo compared to real life?

In this case the T. angustipennis has a strong colored yellow dot. The camera does sometimes change the color of the dot in T. sinensis by making the yellow a pale yellow color instead of a stronger yellow especially when I use the flash.
that is the color in real life... but she is changing color a little... I will take new pic of her tomorrow..

This is the other female... she has a yellow dot on her chest like the first one

My first Chinese mantis got her wings

I caught her molting right after she got her head out.. I started recording it about half body ...I pretty much got most of the molt and the wings inflating.. it was so cool to watch.... My battery went dead half way through... had to find the spare.

A couple of my other mantis molted.. I will get new pics up soon...

Thanks for taking the time to look...

Here are the 3 "carolinas" I have

This is the one from above.. her color change since she got her wings

This is the male ... he has a dark orange dot on his chest .. I think he is about to molt .. won't eat, and moving slow

Ok I will clear everything up right this moment, I have seen all three species at the same time, those are DEFINITELY narrow wings/T. angustipennis, their ooths look a lot like a carolina ooth, which is why they are sold incorrectly, you CAN NOT but true carolina oothecae off ebay when someone advertises them as such, they do not know what they really are, and did not do their homework on it. The angustipennis also has a cream color margin outside of the typical green clearly visible in all photos of the adult, it is much slimmer and has a larger head relative to body size. The hindwings will say everything, look at them, pick up the forewing if you have to, the angustipennis has a singular dark brown stripe straight down the middle, whereas the Chinese has a red margin with deep brown near the center. I HOPE this clears everything up for all of you xD. Carolinas are even smaller than the angustipennis btw. :)

• 8ZZL2ZHLBZ7HLR9H3H6HLR2HHR6HBZSLCH9HBZ7L4ZLLBH6HNZMLAZ5LBZ8LJHWHTHHL2Z4LWZPHHR5LWZNHOHIHVH2_zpsef2dcc5d.jpg
    These are two males, left side angustipennis, right side sinensis

This is an angustipennis ootheca. Note it's rectangular appearance and its overall shabbiness. These two are always claimed to be one and the same by those who do not know the difference.
UHDH9HLRUHCH9HJHPH3HXHCH4H8ZSLAHZLEZ8LVZEHVHXHDHUHAZNHHRPHAZPHYHML1ZML8ZRL1HXH2_zpsbc94795d.jpg

Glad to see your Zoo is doing so well Denise. :D Also looks like you use 7w nightlights for lighting, and found the NeatlySmart company for your candy/cookie containers. It's always interesting to see someone else's setup.

The hindwings will say everything, look at them, pick up the forewing if you have to, the angustipennis has a singular dark brown stripe straight down the middle, whereas the Chinese has a red margin with deep brown near the center. I HOPE this clears everything up for all of you xD. Carolinas are even smaller than the angustipennis btw. :)
Good points, plus one simple thing that is easily visible - female adult Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina) wings are very short covering only 1/2 to 2/3rds of their abdomen (definitely not the whole length).

Here is the identify description of the Carolina I found at BugGuide...

Head and thorax almost as long as the body. Antennae about half as long as middle legs. Pale green to brownish grey, often inconspicuous on vegetation. Males usually brown, females green or brown. Wings do not extend to tip of abdomen, especially in female. (Females apparently flightless, or nearly so.) Abdomen of female strongly widened in middle. Tegmina (outer wings) are broad, reaching apical third of the abdomen, with a stigmatic (dark) black patch.

Also to provide pictures of a male and female Stagmomantis Carolina you can check my gallary in the album named " Apollo & Flora. " both of which I mated and got many many ooths from.

R.i.p Apollo, he passed away today.

Awww... sorry for your loss... RIP Apollo

Well that was a real group effort... Thanks all, now I know what they are...

Thomas the container I got from hibiscusmile a member here on the board.. she has a website where she sells all different size containers.. Without having to eat all the candy... LOL