Egyptian Nymph issues...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyK

Reaction score
Hey,

I have an L2 (I think) gyptian mantis, and have had it for around a month, and it moulted about two or so weeks ago. Since then, it hasn't eaten very much; maybe three times that I've seen. I try and make it a point to feed my mantis (I have two ghosts in addition to the aforementioned egyptian) at least every day, if not that then every other. MY ghosts are fine- eating three to four hydei FF's in one sitting, but the Egyptian seems afraid to eat.

When I pick up a FF to drop into its enclosure, I try and maim it a bit to inhibit it from moving around all that much; making it easier for Cheyenne (the Egyptian) to catch and munch on. At first, this worked relatively well. But now, Cheye just won't go after anything.

I should mention, though, that since I got her she's been mising the last joint or so in her front left leg. This inhibits her from walking and climbing easily, obviously. I'm wondering if this is what's making her afraid (or so it seems) to strike at the food I put in front of her.

It should also be mentioned that recently her demeanor has decreased considerably. When walking, she convulses and twitches; it looks like just crawling for her is extremely difficult.

Also, I've notices that when she DOES eat, she starts from the middle of the fruit fly and, once she's sawed it in half, eats each half seperately. Might not be anything of importance, but I just found it rather interesting as both of my ghosts ALWAYS start at the head of the insect, and that I don't think I've seen any mantis eat in the manner that she does (when she does, that is).

Her enclosure is a single beta fish tank, the bottom being layered in sphagnum moss (I think that's what it is...), and it has a plastic mesh piece for her to climb up on if she wants, along with some silk foliage. I mist her enclosure whenever I feed her, so about every day or so.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this, has any possible diagnosis, hints, or tips, or can point me in the general direction or what to do next with her :/

Thanks so much,

-CK

Doesn't sound like there is a problem if the mantis appears fine otherwise. Your'e wasting your time trying to "maim" the fly. Just put the flies in there so they can move around naturally and when the mantis is hungry it will catch them. Mantids generally eat whatever part of the food is closest to the mouth. Regardless of what some people say they don't go for the head or neck.

*Edit. I didn't see where you said it had trouble moving. If part of a leg is missing this can cause the mantis to have a bit of trouble moving around. There really is not much you can do though. Just make sure that it has surfaces it can grab onto easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Mantids go for parts of the pray that can injure the mantid. Of course there are no such parts on a Fruit Fly. But mantids for example will cut off the strong and spiked cannon bone of an adult lucust at first if they cannot fix it with their raptorial claws. Or an other example is that they first cut off the antenna of cockroaches to make them unoriented. They only cut off these parts first if they are disturbed by these parts, otherwise they do not care for the part they eat first.

But I cannot help with the problem. I think there is a problem. If the mantid is convulsed or twitches, this sounds not like a fine appereance to me.

I have two questions: What temperature is the enclosure (You know, it's very hot in Egypt?!?!)-

Is there any ventlation or air-circulation in the enclosure or is the only chance for the mantid to reach fresh air while you mist it??

regards,

tier

HiMantids go for parts of the pray that can injure the mantid. Of course there are no such parts on a Fruit Fly. But mantids for example will cut off the strong and spiked cannon bone of an adult lucust at first if they cannot fix it with their raptorial claws. Or an other example is that they first cut off the antenna of cockroaches to make them unoriented. They only cut off these parts first if they are disturbed by these parts, otherwise they do not care for the part they eat first.

But I cannot help with the problem. I think there is a problem. If the mantid is convulsed or twitches, this sounds not like a fine appereance to me.

I have two questions: What temperature is the enclosure (You know, it's very hot in Egypt?!?!)-

Is there any ventlation or air-circulation in the enclosure or is the only chance for the mantid to reach fresh air while you mist it??

regards,

tier
Hey,

Thanks for the info about the Mantis' feeding habits- that's pretty fascinating :p

The enclosures for my mantis are kept at about 70 or so degrees. I can't really keep them any hotter than that simply because I haven't got a heating lamp (nor know where to get one or which bulb/fixture to get).

And as far as fresh air goes, the top of the beta tanks I have them in have big slots in the top. I covered one side up with a coffee filter to help keep some of the moisture in, but left the other side open so that some air could get through.

I'm always worried that their enclosures are never moist enough. Is there a better way to keep the humidity up, but keep the warmth in there as well?

Thanks!

-CK

Hey,Thanks for the info about the Mantis' feeding habits- that's pretty fascinating :p

The enclosures for my mantis are kept at about 70 or so degrees. I can't really keep them any hotter than that simply because I haven't got a heating lamp (nor know where to get one or which bulb/fixture to get).

And as far as fresh air goes, the top of the beta tanks I have them in have big slots in the top. I covered one side up with a coffee filter to help keep some of the moisture in, but left the other side open so that some air could get through.

I'm always worried that their enclosures are never moist enough. Is there a better way to keep the humidity up, but keep the warmth in there as well?

Thanks!

-CK
Hi

An egyptian mantis means Miomantiy paykulli, doesn't it? Blepharopsis has another trivial name, so are we talking of Miomantis? But Miomantis is Pharaomantis, isn't it? Ohh my, I hate these trivial names.

But however, if your mantis is an egyptian one - not careing which species - the temperature while dayime should be 82F minimum, better 92F. Try to get a common 25W or 40W light bulb in your building center. It is about 2,-Dollar I guess.

And the problem is not the humidity: It should be very low. If there is a little humidity inside the enclosure at night, this is enough. You should mist in the evening-hours to make sure there is not too much humidity at daytime.

You cannot believe how hot and dry Egypt is! There is only vegetation directly next to the riverbank of the river Nile.

I don't know the species we are talking about, but Egypt means hot n' dry.

regards,

tier

Latest posts