enclosure size question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordancr

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm new to the Mantid Forum - and I have a quick question. I have a 1 foot cubed glass enclosure with a screen top, and 4 wide-armed Mantids. 2 are a bit larger maybe 1 inch and 2 are little nymphs maybe 1/2 inch. One Mantis is loose in the enclosure just catching food that is loose and the other 3 are in cups sitting at the bottom. I have the cups inside so I can control the heat/humidity better. My question is whether the enclosure is large enough to house the two larger Mantids with out cannibalism or not. They are all doing quite well so far, and the one loose Mantis doesn't seem to have any problem finding her food. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while, and have found tons of great info on how to look after my mantids. Thanks!!

most mantids with eat each other even if u give them a massive tank..theres only a few that can be housed together...not sure about Wide armed mantid..tbh iv never heard of that species before..

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say no, you will likely have problems with cannibalism. it would be best to house them seperately.

Thanks for your quick replies! I will heed your warnings and keep them separated. I got them from Mantis Place and hey are wide armed mantis - Cilinia Humeralis. I'll post some pictures of them as soon as I pick up the extension tube for my camera.

Thanks for your quick replies! I will heed your warnings and keep them separated. I got them from Mantis Place and hey are wide armed mantis - Cilinia Humeralis. I'll post some pictures of them as soon as I pick up the extension tube for my camera.
with plenty of food and space u can house most species up to L3 with no cannibalism

Good call! Cilinia humeralis is a "tank" of a mantis and very cannibalistic.

Keep them seperate. A smaller cage that is just the right size for the one mantis in it is better than a large one.

Latest posts