Enclosure?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on which species. looks like it has alot of ventilation so if you need high humidity it will be harder but it just depends i guess
it wont be good for nymphs and species that feed on fruit flys because in the pic it looks like the vent holes are to big..

If the mantis is small and its food couldn't get out through the holes it would be ok.

If the mantis is small and its food couldn't get out through the holes it would be ok.
These will be used for P. wahlbergii sub-adults. I was thinking of using coco fiber for substrate and a fake plant. Will this be suitable for the specie I'm keeping?

These will be used for P. wahlbergii sub-adults. I was thinking of using coco fiber for substrate and a fake plant. Will this be suitable for the specie I'm keeping?
The only problem is that the site doesn't say exactly how big the cage is. The key of thumb is 3 times high of the length of the mantis and 2 times as wide as how long the mantis is.

The only problem is that the site doesn't say exactly how big the cage is. The key of thumb is 3 times high of the length of the mantis and 2 times as wide as how long the mantis is.
I checked on eBay, small size Small 4 5/16"- 5 3/4. If that doesn't work, I also have a few 32oz cups with cloth lids.

Looks okay if you're using houseflies or bluebottles. It looks like fruit flies will be a bad idea. Don't forget that your mantis needs a way to climb to the top.

Looks okay if you're using houseflies or bluebottles. It looks like fruit flies will be a bad idea. Don't forget that your mantis needs a way to climb to the top.
Are flies really needed for their diet? Currently, they are feeding on roaches. I have wingless fruit flies, but they are really too small. They are used to feed early instars jumping spiders. I may start getting a colony of crickets going come Spring. But, for now, they will have to live on roaches. And, really, I don't feed anything wild caught to my collection. There are all types of parasites out there.

Lately I've found that the houseflies I've hatched have gotten craftier - a couple twenty were able to get out of the KK slits and into the house.
:lol: lucky for me only 1 or 2 got out before..and there dam hard to catch..u had 20..lol..i bet your mum wasnt pleased :lol:

Well, I ordered 10 small Pla-houses from that site, but I ended up finding a better enclosure. Today, I stopped by wal-mart and I noticed these Betta fish divided tanks and thought it would make a good mantis enclosure. So, what do you guys think?

I used whatever I could find around the house and coco fiber for substrate.

mantisenclosure2xj6.jpg

Well, I ordered 10 small Pla-houses from that site, but I ended up finding a better enclosure. Today, I stopped by wal-mart and I noticed these Betta fish divided tanks and thought it would make a good mantis enclosure. So, what do you guys think? I used whatever I could find around the house and coco fiber for substrate.

mantisenclosure2xj6.jpg
oh for 1 walbergie that is way to big..imo.be ok for a giant asian adult tho.its pretty encloser its just big for 1 flowermantis..your going to have to chuck i alot of flys for it to feed.

edit - oh its split..thats not to bad then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it is divided. I got two of these tanks and I only have three flower mantis, so I may need to purchase more mantis. :rolleyes: It's on the big side, but they will grow once they hit adult. So, it will work nicely. I'm starting to think the enclosure decoration will go more nicely with a ghost mantis. I think that will be my next purchase. And, I haven't gave these guys a chance to catch their own food yet. They have been taking food from my hand since the first day I got them.

they dont grow very big if u know this allready?..what are u planning on feeding them and what sort of lid are u using?

heres an adult

2055690473_d092a74401.jpg

Latest posts