Exo terra for gongylodes?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathory

Reaction score
So I currently have a 45x45x45 cm exo terra just collecting dust under my desk. If I hot glue a grippy mesh to the walls, would it be suitable for gongys? I know they need tons of ventilation and I'm afraid the exo terras have too much glass but maybe I'm just exaggerating. Would love to get a breeding pair in there!

@Bathory The tank should work as it does have cross-ventilation with the front adjustable ventilation and top mesh; however, is not optimal for them. Given in the MF caresheet...

They did best in net cages with a heat lamp above the enclosure. I misted daily.(Rick)
Other caresheets say the same thing that net cages are best for the species. See another caresheet, a third, and a fourth.

@CosbyArt I was considering maybe removing one of the doors for more ventilation, but if I don't manage to do that I'll probably be building my own mesh cage with a wood frame :)  Though most caresheets say to use mesh, they usually specify that it's because they need lots of ventilation, and I figured if I can get good ventilation and grippy walls any enclosure should be ok?

@Bathory Nice. I built a mesh cage myself originally as it was easier than any other when I first started in the hobby. I'm not sure how you would go about removing a Exo-Terra door, keeping the mantid secure inside afterwards, but it is a option.

Indeed, you can't get a more ventilated cage than all mesh. ;)

If the front ventilation is fully opened, and you keep a eye on your mantid, you will likely be fine. I have heard of a few members having Gongylodes in such Exo-Terra cages without incident. Just watch for sudden changes in the mantids behavior such as erratic/frantic movements or lack of any movement for longer than normal periods of time. Ideally check on the mantid, and if needed make it move from it's perch, to assess it's behavior in the new tank several times the first day.

For added security if the air is rather stagnant/static in the mantid area, you could add a small fan nearby (not pointed at the tank itself) to help keep air moving to increase the ventilation too.

Gongys like hot dryish air.  My gongys are doing very well in 10 gallon vertical vivariums with a 1.5 inch strip of ventilation mesh at the top; but I keep the humidity at 20-50% and the temp at 90-105.  I'm in Arizona.  You may not be able to keep the humidity that low in a tank where you live.   Replacing a door with a mesh panel sounds like it would work, though.   I think the main point is that they need to stay dry, using airflow and/or low humidity.

@Nanodot Humidity shouldn't be an issue with the dry indoor air we get here in Sweden, especially during the winter months :)  

I actually have all my violins inside separate mesh cages that are all inside an exoterra. I needed a way to control their environment (mostly humidity) better so all their cages got stuck inside the exoterra. I had a bunch missmolt and die before I set them up like this so I would say I have not had any issue with ventilation as they have done AWESOME since the change. That said I do not have anything living or mold making in their cages which I would imagine minimizes the need for ventilation. Even cocofibre nearly instantly molds here in Iceland so I opted for the safe sterile route with only fake plants.

My violins are all L6 at the moment.

If you were really worried about ventilation perhaps looking into if there is anyway to add a small fan (like from a computer) to your setup. This is what I intend to do eventually.

@Teamonger Oh wow, I wouldn't have imagined violins making it all the way to Iceland! But that's great to hear, I'm not planning on using any live plants or substrate, just paper towels and maybe a small succulent that I already have in my current gongy enclosure. I imagine it's easier to retain heat in a terrarium as well?

@Bathory It is easier to retain heat as well. I think that is the main challenge with this species, somehow managing to maintain high temps and humidity while still having good ventilation. Its a juggling act for sure.

I find that personally violins do great in a net cage setup. Kept them 90 and sprayed daily.

Latest posts