Exo Terra/Zoo Med terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guapoalto049

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one of these terrariums that opens in the front. I know a few of you have experience with them-what do you think?

Is it a waste of money? I'd get the 12x12x18" one so I could pack it high with sticks for my Idolos. Seems better than regular glass for ventilation, and holds more humidity than a net cage. Kind of like an in-between.

I have a 12x12x18 and I really love it. I got it at petco on sale for like 30 bucks. I spent a lot of time on decorating it and keep it in my living room (my mantises live in my bugroom) I cycle mantises through it. So for a couple days I have one in there, then I switch it out for another. I also use it for breeding, and it works wonders for that.

I have a ZooMed 12x12x12 one and I like it. It would be big for just one I think, but communal species are great in one!

Yup. As I've mentioned before, I prefer the screen ones to the glass for cleaning and better ventilation. Also, there are gaps around the doors that you'll need to address, and I've not found a cosmetically pleasing way to do this (yet).

The mesh ones are cheaper, too.

Yup. As I've mentioned before, I prefer the screen ones to the glass for cleaning and better ventilation. Also, there are gaps around the doors that you'll need to address, and I've not found a cosmetically pleasing way to do this (yet).

The mesh ones are cheaper, too.
hmmmmmm my flies have been getting out of my 1ft cube exoterra idolo cage but i've been unable to figure out how. i assume from what you've said that it must be through the small gaps on the glass door. what non cosmetically pleasing ways have you tried to address this?

I used some weather stripping on the inside of one. I'll probably use silicon on the other one. I've just taped them shut when needed. I've also found a few small gaps in the screens themselves, where they've drifted a bit. Big enough to let houseflies out. I fixed them with black hot glue and you can't easily tell.

Update: I've decided to get one! I'm going all out- cork background, moss, fogger, sticks galore! This will be for my Idolo ladies, then any humidity lovers I keep after them.

Jess-How the heck did you find one for $30!? The cheapest I can find is about $50.

Latest posts