Favorite mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okoboji22

Reaction score
What is your favorite type of mantis? Why is it your favorite? I'm curious to see. My favorite mantis is most sphodromantis sp. (I haven't raised much species but out of them all i like the sphodromantis)

Even though I never got the opportunity to keep them, Cilnia humeralis would be my favourite, Rhombodera stalii would be the favourite of the species I've kept
I also wish I had the chance to keep cilia humeralis, they seem like such a great species.

Okoboji22,

I've only kept seven species so far but Chinese is still on top followed by Sphodromantis and Hierodula. It seems I am partial to big, friendly, green mantids :) I would repeat any of these species as they were all aggressive feeders but gentle to handle.

I also have Double Shield adults that are huge (pretty tans) and they are great now but were skittish nymphs.

I love my Budwing female (very sweet and pretty) but the male reminds me of a flying termite.

I have Popa spurcas that are so sedentary I just put them together in a big barrel cage to see if they will interact.

Lastly, I raised Ghosts. I know everyone seems to love them (they are interesting) but I haven't really enjoyed them---too delicate and unsteady. Maybe if I were into photography or if they were the only mantids I had at one time, I'd appreciate them.

Anyway, I doubt I would repeat any of the last four species. Just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okoboji22,

I've only kept seven species so far but Chinese is still on top followed by Sphodromantis and Hierodula. It seems I am partial to big, friendly, green mantids :) I would repeat any of these species as they were all aggressive feeders but gentle to handle.

I also have Double Shield adults that are huge (pretty tans) and they are great now but were skittish nymphs.

I love my Budwing female (very sweet and pretty) but the male reminds me of a flying termite.

I have Popa spurcas that are so sedentary I just put them together in a big barrel cage to see if they will interact.

Lastly, I raised Ghosts. I know everyone seems to love them (they are interesting) but I haven't really enjoyed them---too delicate and unsteady. Maybe if I were into photography or if they were the only mantids I had at one time, I'd appreciate them.

The exact reason I love sphodromantis: big, green, and friendly :)

I would say Pnigomantis medioconstricta is my favorite species. They are uniquely colored, uber aggressive feeding response, and require hardly anything in terms of care.

Okoboji22,

What's wrong with flying termites?

Salmonsaladsandwich,

Not my intention to offend any termite lovers, but my male Budwing is such a tiny, flying maniac, flitting all over the room--he just reminds me of a termite with wings. I can't imagine pairing him with my female, who is his exact age, as he looks like a light snack for her. Just my opinion :(

My favorite is the Phyllocrania paradoxa, all of my females turned green. They are so pretty. And when I bred them, she didn't try to eat the male! LOL! That to me was a HUGE plus! 

At a close second is the Deroplatys lobata.  

Mine are just little L3 babies with only one molt under my care, but Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii are my favorite mantis. They are so small but full of personality! They have gained a lot of spiny protrusions and color from their L2-3 molt, I cannot wait to see them become adults. 

They are a little wary if I approach their cups rapidly, but they love to climb on my hands and drink little water droplets off my skin if its wet. I've seen them jump, but they don't seem to have any inclination to actually run or jump to get away from me.

I have also noticed at least one of my 4 p.wahls has the ability to tuck his hands directly backwards away from his claws, which seems like a really neat adaptation since my previous mantis (European Mantis) tragically had her "hands" eaten off by her cricket prey. Suffice to say I won't be feeding with crickets if I can avoid it -- but this is a thread about favorite Mantids!

My other favorites are the wandering violin mantis for its rarity and delicate appearance, Idolomantis diabolica for its stature and sinister appearance, and the Orchid mantis for its beauty.

my favorite that I currently have is pseudoxyops perpulchra and my most wanted is any species of choeradodis or asiadodis

Rhombodera Fusca

They have such unique personalities which fits well with their cryptic appearance. R.Fusca is a wonderful species!

I like Fusca too. When they were younger they hated me trying to take them out of thier cages! They would go straight into a threat display! Now that they are adults, that behaviour has disappeared.

Latest posts