Finally witnessed the start of hatching!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamakiri

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my latest additions:

Emerging:

3287414115_c66dd4b61f.jpg

3288233812_b5ef3075b4.jpg

Still in pre-larval cuticle (note 'smooth' reflections on cuticle):

3287419119_39466b0b76.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

Just breaking out of the pre-larval cuticle:

3287419709_b8bd8e6017.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

3287402657_be7f4f1f2b.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

3287402917_1dbbd44d8f.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

3287398439_b4d722ba03.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

3287393347_4052acdb4b.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

3287398439_b4d722ba03.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

3287395543_074e9c9e2e.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

those really are great pictures! i especially like the 5th and 6th from the bottom - like something out of Alien 6 or something! :|

BTW, are those Chinese mantids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the compliments! :)

I'm just glad it was a holiday and that I got lucky on the timing of the hatch! :D

Had to come back and look at the pics again, lol. Great close-ups! In a couple of them you can see a nymph just starting to peep out in the wake of one that just emerged. Makes me giggle... I imagine the first guy saying, "OK... no need to push and shove, I'll be out of your way in just a minute!" :lol:

Great pics Kamakiri!! nice timing too ;) May i know what camera are you using? Hmmm isn't Kamakiri mean praying mantis in Japan? :)
Thanks Yen :) Yes, it is 'praying mantis' in Japanese! My wife and I were out to dinner with friends from Japan when I asked about what they were called. Had to scribble a picture on a napkin to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I think the direct translation is 'sickle-cut' or something like that.

And to be honest, I have waaay too much camera gear...but that's mainly because I also do wedding photography on the side. So there are a few cameras and lenses that I use for macro. The ones in this thread are with the Canon 5D/MP-E/580EX with a 'Fong-dong' diffuser (a Gary Fong knock-off). I prefer using Sigma DSLRs for macro, but they don't make anything like the MP-E :(

Katnapper> I also think I was very lucky to catch and ooth with such a slow hatch out rate...in 5 days it was 1/0/29/30/47. Most of the time it's been just a huge mass covering the action underneath.

Thanks Yen :) Yes, it is 'praying mantis' in Japanese! My wife and I were out to dinner with friends from Japan when I asked about what they were called. Had to scribble a picture on a napkin to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I think the direct translation is 'sickle-cut' or something like that.And to be honest, I have waaay too much camera gear...but that's mainly because I also do wedding photography on the side. So there are a few cameras and lenses that I use for macro. The ones in this thread are with the Canon 5D/MP-E/580EX with a 'Fong-dong' diffuser (a Gary Fong knock-off). I prefer using Sigma DSLRs for macro, but they don't make anything like the MP-E :(

Katnapper> I also think I was very lucky to catch and ooth with such a slow hatch out rate...in 5 days it was 1/0/29/30/47. Most of the time it's been just a huge mass covering the action underneath.
Yes, you were lucky! :) I'm glad to know the origin of your nick/username too. Neat. ;)

Awesome pics. They look like they're aliens from a creepy sci fi movie or something, hah.

Thanks Yen :) Yes, it is 'praying mantis' in Japanese! My wife and I were out to dinner with friends from Japan when I asked about what they were called. Had to scribble a picture on a napkin to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I think the direct translation is 'sickle-cut' or something like that.And to be honest, I have waaay too much camera gear...but that's mainly because I also do wedding photography on the side. So there are a few cameras and lenses that I use for macro. The ones in this thread are with the Canon 5D/MP-E/580EX with a 'Fong-dong' diffuser (a Gary Fong knock-off). I prefer using Sigma DSLRs for macro, but they don't make anything like the MP-E :(
WOW nice camera you got there!! it is the Mark II right? it is way above my class can't touch that :) I would like to try on MP-E from Cannon one day. looking forward to see more of your photos here.

Latest posts