Footing on etched glass?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justrokkit

Reaction score
Hi, all.

Can smaller mantis species hold onto etched glass? I don't intend for this to be the sole footing for my buggies, but I'd just like to know if it's possible and how well you think they'd hold. Thanks all!

Oh, mantids can hold onto anything, including slippery aquarium glass. However, the hold probably won't be strong.

Oh, mantids can hold onto anything, including slippery aquarium glass. However, the hold probably won't be strong.
Some mantids, Idolos and some other flower mantises included, have a hard time gripping smooth surfaces.

Op, what species do you have?

I don't have yet, but I'm planning to pick up an Orchid and a Ghost very soon. My mentality was that the roughed surface of etched glass would give more texture. Thoughts?

I don't have yet, but I'm planning to pick up an Orchid and a Ghost very soon. My mentality was that the roughed surface of etched glass would give more texture. Thoughts?
Both should be fine on it, although an orchid mantis isn't really for beginners. Remember that you have to keep orchids separately as well. Ghost should live fine together.

Probably etched would help some, just hard to say. I don't know what kind of enclosure you're planning on, but if it's an aquarium-like structure you could always put sticks up to the top. Just a thought ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandpaper will help texture the glass. Watch out for glass dust though its really dangerous.

Both should be fine on it, although an orchid mantis isn't really for beginners. Remember that you have to keep orchids separately as well. Ghost should live fine together.
Right-o. I've been getting mixed feedback on raising Orchids, so I'll dig into the forum more to read up on it, but my idea only applies for the ghost. I'm thinking of taking a small glass enclosure and etching one half just enough to give it a slight haze, then putting a few sticks in it (sterilized), backed with a piece of hunting camouflage to make it feel a bit more at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts