Ghost mantids in an aquarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencer

Reaction score
Hello, I'm planning my first habitat, and I plan on using small cups or containers for nymphs, but I want to make sure I have the details for everything worked out ahead of time. I'd really like to keep a small group of ghosts (4 or 5) and I have an old 10 gallon aquarium which I could easily fit with a mesh top. The dimensions are about 20" x 10" x 12". I was thinking this would be far too large for a single mantis as it seems like they'd have a hard time finding food, especially ghosts which seems more passive. What I wasn't sure about is if that would be suitable for a group of ghosts, and if not what size should I look for for a group? How do I make sure they can get enough food in a larger enclosure?

If that wouldn't work at all, then would dividing the tank in half work for keeping two adults of a larger species? 

Thanks!

Hello, I'm planning my first habitat, and I plan on using small cups or containers for nymphs, but I want to make sure I have the details for everything worked out ahead of time. I'd really like to keep a small group of ghosts (4 or 5) and I have an old 10 gallon aquarium which I could easily fit with a mesh top. The dimensions are about 20" x 10" x 12". I was thinking this would be far too large for a single mantis as it seems like they'd have a hard time finding food, especially ghosts which seems more passive. What I wasn't sure about is if that would be suitable for a group of ghosts, and if not what size should I look for for a group? How do I make sure they can get enough food in a larger enclosure?
I think the 10 gallon would be OK after you make a few modifications. 10 gallon tanks also look good when placed vertically with lots of climbing sticks or plants. Once the ghosts graduate to larger feeder insects, I don't think they will have a problem. It's only a matter of time before a fly wanders too close. ?

If that wouldn't work at all, then would dividing the tank in half work for keeping two adults of a larger species? 
That would look cool! I'd suggest using an opaque barrier so they can't see each other. I have a few specimens that stress out if they are close enough to see their neighbor. 

I think the 10 gallon would be OK after you make a few modifications.
Thanks for the help! Do you have any specific suggestions for 4 ghosts if I were planning to keep it horizontal?

I'm very new to this so any advice is helpful.

@Synapze That's AWESOME! I'm jealous of your vines! @Spencer I keep my ghosts in a 10 gal tank. They are older, but if you fed them in a separate smaller cage than you could house a good sized group of ghosts in a 10 gal tank!

- MantisGirl13

you could house a good sized group of ghosts in a 10 gal tank
I'm planning in raising 6 ghosts in a few 32 oz jars then once they're adults I'll move them into the 10 gallon. Do you think 10 gallons is suitable for 6 mantises?

You should do it the other way around. Raise the 6 ghosts in the 10 gal and feed them in a separate container until they are old enough to find prey in a large tank. Then, when they are adult, separate them so that you won't have trouble with cannibalism, or trouble with early matings and such. 10 Gal is definitely fine for 6 ghosts. 

- MantisGirl13

Each ghost needs a bare minimum  of twice it's body length horizontally and three times it's body length vertically. More space is better though, you don't want to crowd them as that can stress them out.

The nymphs are fine housed all together until they are adults. Then you will need to separate the males and females into two separate groups to prevent the females from cannibalizing the males. They will eat the males if given the chance but female adults leave each other alone. 

Latest posts