Ghost mantis vivarium plants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor

Reaction score
Hello all. I am making a vivarium for my ghost mantis coming in this week. It's a decent sized enclosure(I am feeding in a smaller container). I am trying to use live plants. Any ideas on what is easily accessible and can live in a few inches of coconut fiber(that would look good with ghost mantis). And also do know anyone or any site that would sell them? Thanks!

I'm terrible at keeping plants alive but air plants (Tillandsia) are very easy to maintain and don't need soil. Basically you just soak them in water once a week. They come in a variety of sizes and you can find them in your local hardware or plant store (but I'm sure there's a place to buy online). Moss is in the same category of easy plants.

Someone else with better plant skills should chime in soon  ;)

I'm terrible at keeping plants alive but air plants (Tillandsia) are very easy to maintain and don't need soil. Basically you just soak them in water once a week. They come in a variety of sizes and you can find them in your local hardware or plant store (but I'm sure there's a place to buy online). Moss is in the same category of easy plants.

Someone else with better plant skills should chime in soon  ;)
Ok, thanks for the reply. I took a look at them and they are some pretty cool and easy plant! 

As far as I know coconut fibre isn't going to cut it for soil for any plant other then an air plant. There is no nutrients in the cocofibre at all I do believe? I know my first few attempts to plant in cocofibre ended in dead plants.

That said if you do some searching you can find organic soils that are safe to use. If you are unsure where or what looking at a reptile board for your area for the info might be the best bet. Or just go dig up a bit of your yard assuming you don't spray it with anything nasty. 

If you are thinking of using live plants you may also want to think about setting up a live vivarium. Using a cleanup crew to create a tiny biome is both fun and very easy to maintain. Should be lots of information on that across the internet and on this forum if you are interested.

As for plants that are good for terrariums these are the plants I have used and had success with.
- Spider plant
- Snake plant /Mother in Laws Tongue 
- Ivys (I personally have used English)
- Peace lilly
- Porthos

Once again there is a vast amount of information on reptile forms about building habitats with live plants.

As far as I know coconut fibre isn't going to cut it for soil for any plant other then an air plant. There is no nutrients in the cocofibre at all I do believe? I know my first few attempts to plant in cocofibre ended in dead plants.

That said if you do some searching you can find organic soils that are safe to use. If you are unsure where or what looking at a reptile board for your area for the info might be the best bet. Or just go dig up a bit of your yard assuming you don't spray it with anything nasty. 

If you are thinking of using live plants you may also want to think about setting up a live vivarium. Using a cleanup crew to create a tiny biome is both fun and very easy to maintain. Should be lots of information on that across the internet and on this forum if you are interested.

As for plants that are good for terrariums these are the plants I have used and had success with.
- Spider plant
- Snake plant /Mother in Laws Tongue 
- Ivys (I personally have used English)
- Peace lilly
- Porthos

Once again there is a vast amount of information on reptile forms about building habitats with live plants.
Thank you for the information! I will have to check out those plants and look into getting some isopods or springtails. 

Go to Black Jungle Terrarium Supply.  They will have everything you need.

Good Luck!

Latest posts