Giant Prickly Stick Insect - Extatosoma tiaratum

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

more_rayne

Reaction score
This doesn't belong to me, she(?) was on loan for photoshoot.

7665141716_27f7dce575_b.jpg

7665141454_a0d21bc6fe_b.jpg

7665140970_e37416f2a7_b.jpg

7665141192_8772dbee3d_b.jpg

Even posting photos of these can get you banned. Please don't give this site a bad name.

I don't get wat the big deal is

Its just a phasmid lol looks like leafy but anyway why would this species give the forum a bad rep? The pics themselves don't advocate keeping illegal insects

For all we know this could've been taken in Australia where they r from

But if someone has to warn this I guess it's better safe than sorry...

It's upsetting that the phasmids are illegal because they are so cool looking! That extatosoma is just amazing. Lucky people in europe can have as many as they want

Are they "more illegal" than the exotic mantids sold on these forums?
Yes. You can get very heavy fines and legal action taken against you for keeping them. And who said mantids were illegal :D

That's crazy. Our government should have better things to do than fine people with insects. Like the fiscal cliff.
Well just keep in mind that one adult female Extatosoma tiaratum(ET for short) can and will spit out 100-200 ova(eggs) in their lifetime and they will hatch even if unmated, just takes longer if unmated is all. So what would happen if someone released 3-4 or more in a southern state? ;)

They also eat alot for a 6-7 inch insect built like a large hot dog with spikes and legs, lol...

Well just keep in mind that one adult female Extatosoma tiaratum(ET for short) can and will spit out 100-200 ova(eggs) in their lifetime and they will hatch even if unmated, just takes longer if unmated is all. So what would happen if someone released 3-4 or more in a southern state? ;)

They also eat alot for a 6-7 inch insect built like a large hot dog with spikes and legs, lol...
But...but... Look at how awesome they look!