Giant Shield mantis - Rhombodera sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANother molt gone, still a small size. But the shield is very visible by now.

L6k.jpg

L6l.jpg

Aren't these supposed to grow even bigger and bulkier than H. Membranacea, H. Grandis, and S. Lineola etc? I've been finding conflicting information and it's making it tricky to figure out what will be the biggest of them all.

Yes i have read this type of info about Rhombodera basilis ie bigger, better, stronger 110mm etc but i believe its all untrue of R basilis

As yet we dont think this species is R basilis, but still dont know what species it is?

I have seen dryed "sheild type" mantids that looked like they could be around the 120mm mark on the net, but i cant be exact and i cant find the pics any more.

Who knows, we'll have to wait and see how this type pans out??

how cool! can't wait till mind reach that size. mine are only L4/L5 and i don't see much of the shield yet.

Thanks guys.

Couple of days ago, I witnessed the second cannibalism. A subadult female taking down a sub-subadult female. I promptly separate the mantis and realized that i only have 4 male!! :shock: so female outnumber male by 4:1 ratio for me right now. I have noticed the same finding from another person who received the same stock from me. Did you have a chance to take a look at your stock Birdfly?

Hi Yen, no i havent tryed to S E X them at all, if i think along the lines of one S E X maturing quicker than another i would hazard a guess at 50/50, but its pure guess work, if i find time this week i might be able to get the magnifying glass out provided one of the kids hasn't been digging with it or taking anothers temperature :lol:

Most Rhombodera are highly canabalistic and you will eventually end up with one very fat mantis :wink:

When I was breeding R. basalis, I found them to be one of the worst species for canabalism I have ever kept - that was at 3rd instar when I always seperate off breeding stock, they are even worse when older.

A low male to female ratio is the norm for R. basalis, so this could be inferred for this very similar species.

I still think it is just coincident. i will check the outcome with others. Wuwu, are yours large enough to s.ex? Right now most of them have reached subadult, hopefully i can breed them for another generation.

I was told by another breeder that he has more male than female for this species :? well he noticed that male is the weaker between the two genders, more prone to diseases compared to female so he keeps more male on separate individual cage with extra care. I hope this is not true because i only have 4 male (3 subadult and 1 sub-subadult) :(

I still think it is just coincident. i will check the outcome with others. Wuwu, are yours large enough to s.ex? Right now most of them have reached subadult, hopefully i can breed them for another generation.
yea, they should be. i just have to use a magnifying glass. i'll try to sex them when i get a chance. at what stage do you start seeing the size difference between the two sexes?

Sorry i missed your question wuwu. they are about the same size up to sub-subadult, male has smaller shield and slimmer abdomen, but about the same length really.

Latest posts