Giant Shield mantis - Rhombodera sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, nice! Does the shield keep the female from grabbing the male or anything?
I don't think the shield will stop a female to grab the male if she is determined to have him for dinner. I did follow the mating process. The male actually monitored the female for a while, kind of making sure she is not threatening before jumping on her back.

I would be happy to steal your male away, but my females are only L3 and L4. And growing very slowly.
That is strange that your nymphs stay on L3/L4 stage for this long, if you keep them warmer and feed more often, they sould grow up quickly.

i left them together for the night, and they appeared to be just separated this morning. Male is alive!! :D i will send the male your way Asa if he is still alive after few more pairing ups. I have 7 more adult females to mate, hopefully the other 3 male will do the job with equal success.

Gez Asa, are you trying to kill your mantis?

The mated female appear to be receptive again so i put another male and they mated promptly.

mate7.jpg

mate6.jpg

Now i have two "experience" adult male :D

Thanks Ian, i hope to see ootheca from the mated female in near future. She is being fed daily, sometimes I wonder how her abdomen can store so much food. I brought her out for some wild insects, but the weather in Houston has been terrible with routine daily rain so not much luck for her finding any, so i took some pics of her instead.

af15.jpg

af13.jpg

Great photos Yen!!! Can't wait to see the ooths and the nymphs that will follow 8)

Honestly, i was more worry of her dropping than escaping :wink:

Tada..... she laid an ooth this morning!! and now she is back to her aggressive form. The ootheca is HUGE! i would say at least 200 eggs inside that ooth. It has been satisfying so far. Not the toughest species but i would give extra care to the male. Looking forward to complete the "circle" when this ootheca hatches, hopefully by the end of next month or early September.

ooth5.jpg

great pics yen. i love hatchling mantids. what are you going to do with that many ?? i always wanted to hatch my own ooth :)

Latest posts