Giant Shield mantis - Rhombodera sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally two of the smallest females (with smaller shield) molted into adult today, her shield expanded quite a bit on the last molt and about 7.5 cm but still small compare to the other subadult female, i'm looking forward to see a larger shield for those larger females. Now i hope the male will molt out alright. If possible, I will keep another generation before quitting it.

Here is the comparison between two subadult female, the one on the left is going to molt (which has molted recently), but appeared smaller than the subadult female on the right which molted out just 2 days ago.

subf3.jpg

Here is the average size of a subadult female at about 6 cm, this one is about 6.5 if measure from head to tip of abdomen.

subf6.jpg

Pic of the small adult female

af1.jpg

Enjoy!

ah ok won't be long now :wink:

It took me only 2 months to raise them from hatchling to adult so you should see sign of shield by end of this month.

4 subadult females and the last subadult male have decided to molt into adult yesterday, it is great to see all of them molt out alright and none has mis-moulting issue going into adult so far (just hate to see they come so far just to mismolt on the last moult). Will wait for 2 weeks and start to pair them up, lets hope the female can be nice to the male as they outnumbered male in 4 to 1 ratio :shock:

af3.jpg

af6.jpg

af7.jpg

Glad so many have come through successfully out of what you had left.

One word of caution though - I'd wait more than 2 weeks until you try to pair them, these are very aggresive towards the males.

Rob.

Thanks Ian, hopefully this species will be around in large quantity and more readily available to mantis hobbyists. Just hope breeding will do fine, i am sure it will be another "orchid boom" for me if this species can breed well cos ootheca hatched out at least hundred nymphs :D

My last subadult female moluted into adult...yay!!

af8.jpg

af9.jpg

Asa Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 am Post subject: Yeah, don't let the male get killed! It turns out, that I have all females
I hope to have some male left for you, the first pair mated today. She's adult since 6/31 and male's adult just 10 days ago. I tried couple of days ago and the male appeared not interested with the female at all. Today, female appear to be releasing phermones (spelling!) so it does work this time. Female is constantly interested with the male (as food source) until i stuffed her up nicely.

mate2.jpg

mate1.jpg

mate4.jpg

Latest posts