Glass jars for housing...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
Being that I'm running out of space for my nymphs and all and haven't taken the time to order deli cups, I got a little desperate and decided to use some old jars that I bought from a Goodwill-type store. They have an open mouth on the lid, so it made it easy for me to glue on some mesh at the top and dress em up appropriately for my nymphs. I definitely need to buy more since I only have 2 at the moment:

_MG_1413.jpg

Ideally, I'd like to keep 10 nymphs in each jar.

About roughly how big is it? And the only problems I could see are the traction on the glass, feeding, and ventilation (but the mesh lid might be good enough)...overall, nice ;)

All the best,

Andrew

About roughly how big is it? And the only problems I could see are the traction on the glass, feeding, and ventilation (but the mesh lid might be good enough)...overall, nice ;)

All the best,

Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. It's approx. 6.5" tall and the diameter is about 3.5". They seem to climb up the glass fine, but just to give them access to the mesh at the top, I glued up those basswood sticks to make a little tripod for climbing. I'm running out of space and don't have any plastic containers, unfortunately. :blush:

small nymphs shouldn't be a problem with traction on the glass, until they start getting bigger. as the nymphs get bigger I wouldn't keep all 10 in there. If you want to keep them communial go bigger I would recommend 5 ghosts per gallon. I have a 5 gallon communial setup and I'm not putting more than the 30 I have in there as it is, and that's pushing it. Otherwise mass cannibalism will happen.

if you were planning on separating them as they got bigger, then I don't see a problem. you have vertical sticks going from the ground to the lid as access to the top. If they can't climb the glass which I doubt, they will still be able to get to the top from the sticks.

99cent stores sell a 3 pack of 32 oz cups very similar to the ones we are used to. They just dont have a vented lid which you obviously have under control. but hey 3 32 oz cups for 99 cents =)

10 seems a bit too many unless that is a large jar. They will work, but there are better options.

small nymphs shouldn't be a problem with traction on the glass, until they start getting bigger. as the nymphs get bigger I wouldn't keep all 10 in there. If you want to keep them communial go bigger I would recommend 5 ghosts per gallon. I have a 5 gallon communial setup and I'm not putting more than the 30 I have in there as it is, and that's pushing it. Otherwise mass cannibalism will happen.

if you were planning on separating them as they got bigger, then I don't see a problem. you have vertical sticks going from the ground to the lid as access to the top. If they can't climb the glass which I doubt, they will still be able to get to the top from the sticks.

99cent stores sell a 3 pack of 32 oz cups very similar to the ones we are used to. They just dont have a vented lid which you obviously have under control. but hey 3 32 oz cups for 99 cents =)
The glass just jars is just to hold them down til they hit L4. I'll be getting a really big tank for them in the near future.

My ghosts are in a 5 gallon right now, probably about 15 in there at the moment.

I'm definitely going to check out the 99 cent store for more containers. Going to check out Big Lots first since it's very close by. Hopefully I'll find something useful..

Hi Mike,

Like Petoly mentioned, the 99 cent store has alot of nice plastic containers. They have some nice 16 oz deli size containers that have screw on lids and they are pretty sturdy and they are 2 for 99 cents. However, the 3 - 32 oz containers sounds like an even better deal but I haven't seen those in my area. That's the only thing about the 99 cent store is that not all stores have exactly the same thing. However, I'm sure they will have something that will work out. There are great deals online but when you place a small order the shipping is more than the product so it's nice to be able to pick up a few small items when you need it right away.

Latest posts