Gongylus, gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres one of my green girls (its only the girls that seem to turn green, ive never seen a boy turn green).

2754320053_2905816145_o.jpg

SUCH a cool species,

I just got to keep telling myself one day.

hope breeding all goes well good luck.

You're really lucky! :D I have three ant mantids and I think all of them are female. :blink:
Well, its about time I had some good luck. About a month ago I had 15 New Zealand mantids set aside for breeding purposes, all were male. :angry: I also have 4 Arizona Unicorn mantids that I won in a contest, all are male. :rolleyes: At least I've worked it out to get females for both sp. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
About a month ago I had 15 New Zealand mantids set aside for breeding purposes, all were male
:eek: :eek: :eek: you win, hands down. the worst luck i ever had was 6 males of a species, and then 5 males of another species. 6/6 split is pretty good though, i hope you can make these more available in usa and bring the prices down.

I just got another L4 and it is SUPER green!! It is the greenest gongy I've ever seen (even in pics). I will post pictures later on today. :)

Time for pics. :)

I just realized that the gongylus are shedding to L4 after just 6 days! I must be keeping them perfect because I thought this species grew slowly. :D

The green in most of the pics is paled because of my cameras stupid flash...but i did get one pic of its natural hue. B)

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

newpic.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

That is its natural hue :wub: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm no expert but unless you have a really good flash that you can control and is made for macro type stuff then it often ends up making the shot very washed out. try taking some with no flash, depending on how much light is around you may get some blur but even just one desk lamp should be fine (though this can often make the pictures very high contrast dark/light, with the light being very stark (unless you somehow soften the lamps light). but a couple of lamps or even just natural light yields better results (in my opinion) and truer colours. unless there is no way of turning the flash off on your camera in which case i don't really know what to suggest. maybe still do the same (shoot in bright natural light so the camera does not feel the need to use flash). try it out, would be good to get some green gongy pics, havent seen many around.

if you think photobucket somehow distorts or compresses your pics, you might want to try flickr, its also free and useful.

Latest posts