Gongylus, gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got my first ooth on monday, very happy :lol: :D

2780251893_c43e23b030_o.jpg

it is small compared to some other species ootheca (only about 1cm main body length) and slightly small compared to the norm with this species, but i have never had a g.gongylodes ootheca longer than about 2cm (main body length, minus the foam and that spike thing they end it with).

EDIT: ilikemantis - it is fertile to the best of my knowledge (female was mated before laying it).

EDIT: the same female laid another ootheca of the same size earlier to day, only 4 days after the first. this brings to mind a topic sometime last year about size of p.wahlbergii ooths. somebody suggested that some females wait longer between laying but lay longer oothecae, while some females (for whatever reason) lay more frequent, shorter oothecae. anyway this is the shortest interval between oothecae i have ever experienced (of any species).

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: the same female laid another ootheca of the same size earlier to day, only 4 days after the first. this brings to mind a topic sometime last year about size of p.wahlbergii ooths. somebody suggested that some females wait longer between laying but lay longer oothecae, while some females (for whatever reason) lay more frequent, shorter oothecae. anyway this is the shortest interval between oothecae i have ever experienced (of any species).
I haven't seen anything shorter than 4 days before. I imagined it could happen but I didn't think it would be of this species. You are feeding her very well?

I haven't seen anything shorter than 4 days before. I imagined it could happen but I didn't think it would be of this species. You are feeding her very well?
yes, i try to keep all my mantids as well fed as possible (especially mated females, and excluding of course males that i am trying to slow down). maybe it has something to do with the fact she is being kept in a container with one other mated female and one adult male? my girlfriend supposed that laying more, smaller oothecae may be a reaction to the "competition" in the same container? she thought maybe a female that feels unthreatened may be willing to "put more of her eggs in one basket" (if you will) so will lay longer oothecae, than one that feels in some way threatened or that these are not ideal conditions for the young, and so lays more smaller ones in different places to kind of "hedge her bets" or "cover all bases"? this is just COMPLETE SPECUALTION of course, just something we were discussing. it would be nice to get other peoples thoughts.

yes, i try to keep all my mantids as well fed as possible (especially mated females, and excluding of course males that i am trying to slow down). maybe it has something to do with the fact she is being kept in a container with one other mated female and one adult male? my girlfriend supposed that laying more, smaller oothecae may be a reaction to the "competition" in the same container? she thought maybe a female that feels unthreatened may be willing to "put more of her eggs in one basket" (if you will) so will lay longer oothecae, than one that feels in some way threatened or that these are not ideal conditions for the young, and so lays more smaller ones in different places to kind of "hedge her bets" or "cover all bases"? this is just COMPLETE SPECUALTION of course, just something we were discussing. it would be nice to get other peoples thoughts.
That's an interesting idea. Amusing that your girlfriend came up with it :lol: I usually keep my mantids seperate, even if communal, so I can't really add anything to your speculation.

Because that's probably why I like them so much, hehehe ;)

Pics of my first 5th instars:

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

Soon to be 5th instars. ;)

They are all one instar ahead of scedule according to Teir. :D

You are kinda slow :p I got mine as L3 or L4 four weeks ago and even the females are just about to turn sub-adult, two males are already sub - gut-loading does the trick :)

You are kinda slow :p I got mine as L3 or L4 four weeks ago and even the females are just about to turn sub-adult, two males are already sub - gut-loading does the trick :)
6th instar is sub-adult for the males. :p The past months I havn't had to bother with gut loading, I've been catching wild food, much better than the same diet over and over again. ;) That will change in a few weeks though, it's beginning to get cool here. :(

Latest posts