Gongylus gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, obviously they all died because you did not give them anything to eat
Lol, not sure if that's the only reason though. There could be other factors.

Wait, did you get them from him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

In the moment I keep some L4-instars in an enclosure with mainly L1-L3, so I have to offer big house-flies and smaller flies.

Well, I already saw some L1-instars catching krull-flies= terfly= Musca spec., but today a L1 nymph caught a fat house-fly. It was a nice fight :)

Well, obviously they all died because you did not give them anything to eat.
No, I never feed them, that's way they develop such fine ;-)

Uuups, sorry again, ThorEH, I forgot again.

I will use this sunday to create my flick-account, I promise :)

Your pictures are as great as all your pictures,

regards,

tier

And here's a new pic from today...

2043209071_e296c404d8_b.jpg

This sentence does not make sense.

If you do not feed hatchlings, and you send them in a package, then it's quite obvious that they will be dead at the arrival.

This sentence does not make sense.If you do not feed hatchlings, and you send them in a package, then it's quite obvious that they will be dead at the arrival.
Were you the one who got 20 of them dead? Nymphs can live for a while without other food types, especially with all of those tasty sibling around them. ;) It could be the weather, or dehydration.

I second ThorEH. :lol:

Were you the one who got 20 of them dead? Nymphs can live for a while without other food types, especially with all of those tasty sibling around them. ;) It could be the weather, or dehydration.I second ThorEH. :lol:
Yup!

And the first time he said that they needed more food, he was kidding also. :p

Nah, I was not the one - but I was told about a german guy who sent someone 20 Idolomorphs that were badly malnutritioned and died during the transport or shortly after being delivered.

I don't know, never asked if that person got a refund - I hope so.

But the thing is, it's sad - 20 nymphs dead just like that... what a waste... :mellow:

No, Idolomorpha is a little more aggressive than Gongylus or Idolomantis.

Unfortuanatly one of my subadult females of Idolomorpha was eaten by another. This has not occured at Gongylus or Idolomantis yet, but at Idolomorpha. It seems that if you are unlucky you can loose them at every instar.

Adult males always live a very dangerous life because they are attaced when they flutter with their wings.

Regards

No, Idolomorpha is a little more aggressive than Gongylus or Idolomantis.Unfortuanatly one of my subadult females of Idolomorpha was eaten by another. This has not occured at Gongylus or Idolomantis yet, but at Idolomorpha. It seems that if you are unlucky you can loose them at every instar.

Adult males always live a very dangerous life because they are attaced when they flutter with their wings.

Regards
What is the main difference between 'Idolomorpha' and 'Idolomantis'? Are they both supposedly communal?

HiIn the moment I keep some L4-instars in an enclosure with mainly L1-L3, so I have to offer big house-flies and smaller flies.

Well, I already saw some L1-instars catching krull-flies= terfly= Musca spec., but today a L1 nymph caught a fat house-fly. It was a nice fight :)

i clicked on your pic and got spam..great pic tho

i clicked on your pic and got spam..great pic tho

AHAHAHAHAAHAH.

When did we get on the subject of Idolomorpha by the way? Idolomorpha is not the same as Idolomantis.

Tier, what do you feed your Idolomorpha? Temps? Humidity?

Only flies (of course fed with honey), but if available moth and butterflies, too.

28-35°C daytime, 20°C nighttime

Spraying water every 3-6 days.

Very lot of fresh air.

They CAN EASY molt adult on meshscreen without getting spread up wings, BUT ONLY if the Tarsae of them are in good conditions. Like Gongylus they just hang with their 2 Tarsae of the first pair of the legs (the pair which is used for catching the flys, not the other two pairs which are used just for walking and climbing) right after the adult-moulting, so that the wings can enlarge downwards their body with the natural gravity.

By the way, mine are Idolomorpha cf. lateralis, but some I. madagascariensis were seen in germany also. I think there are 5 different Idolomorpha described yet.

It is one of the very quick growing ones, makes it to adult in approx. 2 month after hatching. For example they are subadult for only 2 weeks :)

i clicked on your pic and got spam..
yeah, that's what ThorEh already pointed out. You can close the commercial-window like you close all other windows: The cross in the upper right corner. Actually I use flichr.com now. But it seems if I don't pay for the account, I only can post links but no direct pic?

regards,

tier

Latest posts