Gongylus gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Well, not really.

The first Ootheca is always lottery, sometimes nothing will hatch, sometimes 35 will hatch.

But all the following oothecas are always more or less the same, depending on the female who layed them.

Some females just lay oothecas with always 12 eggs in each, other females build oothecas with always 30 eggs in each. In general every female builds approx 10-12 oothecas.

In general all larvae in one ootheca hatch out the same time, but in very few cases some hatch out (maybe three or four) and the rest of them will hatch out the next day or two days later.

regards

Ok.

Sorry for the off-topic but I really would like to know something about Gongylus cousin - Idolomorpha lateralis. I have thirteen of them - L4/L5 - and one L6. I still cannot make out which ones are males and which ones are females - is sexing them so hard?

Plus - I hear that males live a short life, and it is a good idea to slow down their growth - is that true too?

Oh! And one thing - it's the fifth week of rearing this mantis - they seem to molt every 8-10 days - wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Yes, they are quickest growing I know.

No, sexing them is as easy as sexing every mantid, at least for some of us :rolleyes:

You shouldn't slow down their groth via temperature but via food. Offer more food to the females!

regards

Well, each time I count their segments it's always six of them - I hope I have some males, the pure thought of having females only freaks me out...

57140.jpg

Sorry for the bad angle and quality - I would upload a bigged picture, but imageshack rejects my email.

L5 - is that a female?

Hi

useless picture!

If you want me to guess, I guess male.

The both important parts (end of abdomen and antaenna) are not showen clearly enough, sorry.

PS: ThorEh doesn't like it if you post Idolomorpha here. And as you pointed out, it is OT. Please make a new thread.

regards

edit:

2043676784_5e6adc9e9c_o.jpg

What is that greenish, leafy thing attached to the abdomen of this Gongylus?

If you have any pictures of Idolomorpha - you can post them one thread below :)

Hi

This is a phasmid (no mantid <_< ), Phyllium siccifolium, female, L4, and a female Gongylus, subadult.

regards

Well, that's a very nice phasmid... only, why is it perching on such a perilous spot?

Another of mine

This 1 is darker in colour than the others

100_2425.jpg

100_2426.jpg

Hi

Well, that's a very nice phasmid... only, why is it perching on such a perilous spot?
As long as it is not adult and has no wings it won't flutter, in fact it won't be eaten.

But I just put them together for this photo ;)

Phyllium needs much cooler temperature than Gongylus.

regards

Yeah - and judging by the color, it also needs higher humidity.

Well - is there any possibility that a phasmid could take lobes on the abdomen and legs of Gongylus and start munching on them? :lol:

Oh, and man - stop showing me those photos - It breaks my heart that I do not have this mantis - since I got Idolomorpha I just fell in love with big, twiggy, leafy, otherwordly looking mantids.

YES NICE PHOTOS THOR AS USUAL :huh:

Havent seen a dark morph like that one before

HI

Very nice, but - sorry to say - both are females :-(

Don't worry: You got wonderfull Gongylus :)

regards

Hi

Got some pics to distinguish sexes:

male, sub, abdomen and wings:

2208851705_62f2b8e975_o.jpg

male, sub, portrait with big antenna:

2209648118_769c533110_o.jpg

female, sub, portrait with very thin antenna:

2209696906_dcc8caae2f_o.jpg

...the lady moulted subadult some hours ago

regards

Mhh, good question. I think it starts with L5/6, but it is not expressed as articulately as in older instars.

The older, the more articulate.

The abdomens are distinguishable with an age of L3, with L4 you cant't fail. L4 means one month after hatching if kept hot and fed well.

regards

Latest posts