Good idea or not?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was informed by someone that they would have some Blepharopsis mendica nymphs available in a while, I assume a month or two perhaps, so I would like to set up a terrarium for them so they all live together and form a low maintinence, attractive colony

I was wondering a few things, such as is this practical? Also, do I have a good idea down?

Here is my idea:

About an inch layer of desert sand on the bottom to be desert like

Then some plant stuff kinda bunched up to mimic a plant or bush

But I need to know, should I use dry brush (the crown of a dead bush) or greener stuff? Perhaps a live plant? it will be a terrarium type thing, and since they can't grip glass the plant stuff will be essential for the terrarium to work

I also need an idea on wat to use under the lid, I have a screen lid but I need something about an inch below that so they don't burn on the heat lamp I will rest on the screen lid, the bulb is hot enough to pulverize a dead fly, otherwise I think I got a good idea down, I used the terrarium for gongies without an issue, in fact I noticed less cannabalism and fewer mismolts with them in the terrarium, but I have been told gongies are a little different species

So let me know if u have any suggestions

Thanx!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mendica are not communal. They will cannibalize. If you are only getting a few nymphs I do not recommend it. If you're getting a whole ooth and want to experiment then give it a shot. I know someone that has kept them together off and on but I don't believe she kept them all as a single large group.

Yes, I agree. They will eat each other. No bueno! Sand should be good. As far as plants- live vivarium plants are cool and all, but it has to be a plant that likes the same conditions as the bug. I know Jade plants and some other succulents like it dry in the winter months with high light. Otherwise, just put some fake ones in. Doesn't matter what color really. There is the theory that the bugs turn greener if their surroundings are greener (not sure I've ever seen proof of such a thing). I also don't recommend resting the heat lamp right on the terrarium. Why risk it? Many heat lamps come with a clamp (if not you can probably get one). Clamp it above the cage I'd say. If the lid is plastic, the heat lamp will melt it.

Well, the word is in, young Alex. When your kindly natured friend and mine sends you some B. mendica, you would do well to keep them seperately in 32 oz pots. There are some cool sides to this. B. mendica tend to hang from the top of the enclosure, so make feeding ports in both the lid and the side. Capture a fly in a medication vial (4 drams or so, you know the kind) and let it fly directly into the pot. Often, the nymph will have caught it before you can put the bung back into the feeding port! There is no Garden of Eden in the in the True Tale of the Great Mantis Goddess (BbHN). Instead there is the story of Hieros gamos, where the Great Goddess performed her ceromonial rites, and from the beginning until the Fall (felix culpa, caused by interbreeding), among her first attendants was a pair of B. mendica. Isn't that great? :D

i will house the first generation individually but the cages will be in the terrarium because the terrarium gets as hot as 127 degrees

if they produce enough nymphs for me to afford a few losses due to cannabalizm i may try to establish a good colony

are 32 oz cups tall enough for the final molt?

thanx for the advice!!!

Wow. 127 degrees!

I'd get a bigger cage for the final molt, personally, and make sure there's a good grippable vertical wall nearby and some sticks.

meagen, how tall was the cage yours molted in? just curious because i need to know what types of cages to get, i looked on mantisplace and there are several possibilities of things i could use

thanx! :)

The usual rule of thumb for an enclosure is that it be three times the length of the mantis. I have had no problems, so far, with a 32oz pot. If you are using an encosed terrarium, you might want to create passive humidity with a few regularly wetted sponges. You can't go keeping them at temps over 90F, though and you must have a thermometer/hygrometer once you start juggling the temp and humidity.

I will keep them in 32 oz things and if i feel they r getting too big i will adjust accordingly

How high should the humidity be? I asume at most 40%, i hear they like it dry And phil don't worry the lamp only is that hot the first few inches under it, if need be i can get a smaller bulb :) , i will do some experiments with it and my hydrothermometer

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd back off on that heat lamp. I keep mine in a critter cage. A 32 deli would be tall enough for an adult but not wide enough.

dont fry them with that high of a temp as I would go lower if I were you and have had two of them like a year ago and they got to adults with just a normal room temp but thats just me but anythings possible if you just believe!

I keep my b. Mendica warmer than all of my other species. With the heat lamp, the temp at the top of the net enclosure enclosure gets up to 88 - 90 degrees in the daytime. Because they are in a net, they have the option of being as close to the heat lamp as they wish, but if it's too warm, they can move away. I usually put the net enclosures with males in them right under the heat lamp. (I'm down to one male now.) It's slightly cooler with the nets that are surrounding the heat lamp. At night the temperature is room temperature and is between 72 - 74 degrees.

Tammy, I did temperature experiments and I put a net cage in the terrarium, the top of the mesh is about 90 degrees with my heat lamp, I like the idea of moving the net cage around if need be

Now I must solve a huge problem, the lamp brings the humidity down to 0%, an inch of slightly moist sand might do the trick, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx :)

They like it dry. If you lightly mist them every 5 - 7 days or so, you should be fine. I'm not sure you need to put the net cage in the terrarium. You'll want good ventilation.

Wow, this is an exciting thread! 0%RH is way too low even for the desert. Either reduce the temp by using a smaller wattage lamp or moving it further away, or using a humidifier, though the latter seems a bit extreme for this species! Keep us up to date :D

Latest posts