Good idea or not?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may need to spray them more often than I do if you don't have a humidifier in your house. I have one attached to the furnace. But it still gets really hot and dry under the heat lamp. The babies love it though. As soon as the heat lamp turns on in the morning, they all head that way and line up to be as close to it as possible. It's kind of cute. After they warm up, they spread around again.

Tammy, u r making me wish it was Christmas break so I could get some, I still need to get fruitflies and net cages :)

If I knew wat % humidity they need I can spray them whenever I need to bring it back to that level

Hey would a net cage with a plastic bottom and 1 plastic wall or should there be more netting to it?

Thnx for your help!!!

Christmas isn't that far away!

Most of my net cages are the Butterfly Castle cages. They have just one plastic side, and I keep that to the right with the zipper on the bottom. That's a personal preference. I put a papertowel on the bottom. I prefer the white ones for raising nymphs because they are easy to see.

Do you have any net enclosures you use for raising moths?

I raise my moths outside in buckets, I hope to get rearing sleeves next year for them

I have a home made net cage with 1 open side for my moths to call from, I have 3 mantis net cages, it's the discovery kids net cage kit thing, though I use 1 for flies and I have a popa in a second one, how long does it take for cages from livemonarch to arrive?

Thanx :)

Alex: What species of moth are you raisiing? What are rearing sleeves? The net cages from Monarch seem to be about five days in delvery and they are excellent. I use mine with the plastic (non-mesh) side on the bottom for catching any spills and debris. One can get more humidity without the use of towels by having a potted plant on the bottom and when you water it through the top mesh, any spilled water remains on the bottom for it ti evaporate and cause more humidity. Tammy is better than I am at all this, but this is what I do. Another thing you need to know is that if an adult mantis has especially long claws on its raptorial legs, they can get caught in the mesh when the mantis tries to ambulate or hang at the top. I had to rescue an adult female Creobrotoer pictipennis a few days ago, two times in one day. I finally had to remove her. The weird thing is that it had never happened before to any of the other Creos. I also use a potted plant in one of my cages and it makes getting a higher humidity much easier and adds the benefit of a natural climbing and hiding area for the mantids. I also looks nice if you get a pretty plant. In my case I have a Hoya carnosa vine. I will be offering rooted cutting of it later in the Spring.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I rear saturniid moths and the occasional Virginia creeper sphinx, a rearing sleeve is a mesh sock that is placed over the branch of a hostplant for the caterpillars to eat, it's like keeping your moths on the tree but containing them and offering protection from predators

I may take u up on your plant offer, but I need to know a few things,

1: is it easy to care for?

2: does it need a lot of light?

3: does it require a huge pot?

4: how much humidity would it release? My fear is it would make the cage too humid for Blepharopsis

I may grab some tree branches with lots of twigs, I read somewhere idolomantis and related species love that, especially birch

I'll let u know wat I come up with :)

I raise my moths outside in buckets, I hope to get rearing sleeves next year for them

I have a home made net cage with 1 open side for my moths to call from, I have 3 mantis net cages, it's the discovery kids net cage kit thing, though I use 1 for flies and I have a popa in a second one, how long does it take for cages from livemonarch to arrive?

Thanx :)
Alex, you mentioned you raise yours in buckets outside when we discussed this before but thought you may start them indoors in a net enclosure like I do.

I just ordered from livemonarch, and it took 10 days for my nets to arrive (but that includes Thanksgiving and a Sunday). They were shipped first class. I don't know why it took so long. If you buy four or more, the shipping changes to priority mail. I'm sure my previous orders were all shipped priority mail.

Livemonarch also sells rearing socks. I did buy a couple from them and a couple from another source. Maybe you can get a good deal from Bill O.

I keep mine in Tupperware containers and inside only until they start eating

Next year everything will be done outside

I am surveying my net cage options at the moment :)

Wow, this is an exciting thread! 0%RH is way too low even for the desert. Either reduce the temp by using a smaller wattage lamp or moving it further away, or using a humidifier, though the latter seems a bit extreme for this species! Keep us up to date :D
Is 0% RH a possibility?

I choak and sinuses shivel up at 20%

Latest posts