Grandpa Jack Religiosa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
I have a religiosa that is about 4 weeks past his expiration date. He fledged into an adult on August 23 and it's been about 12 weeks since! But I've noticed he's been falling a lot lately and he's been halfheartedly eating his food. He literally just ripped off three legs from a roach then dropped it and stared at it for ten minutes before walking off. I decided to move him into a much smaller enclosure with some cushion for his old man joints. What do you think? I couldn't find any silk plants I liked and I baked the coconut fiber for 2+ hours just to dry it. He now gets to decorate our bathroom counter so I can modify the 20L tank he was in for my two heirodula mems. I only worry about him being warm enough as it averages between 66-74F in the house.

image0 (1).jpg

I have kept one male and one female european that were wild caught as adults. The male seemed fine and typically ravenous and one morning he just dropped dead. Probably of.old age as I saw no signs of black vomit or excrement. 

The female laid an ooth then started losing mobility quickly. She died tonight trying to lay another ooth but it was a much slower spiral than the male. My guess is that once they lose their legs the end is very near.

I tried to alleviate by giving her easier structures to move around on, but I think the simple truth is they just cant articulate their legs anymore. Their tarsi get snagged up easier and they often can't stretch their legs out properly in order to motor around. 

Having said that, in your photo, Jack is carrying himself nice and high and not dragging butt.

You might try little strips of mesh to get some grip when climbing.

I think the difference in adults is a male can be kept in a smaller enclosure but females, being gravid and fussy, need a bit more room and options for laying their ooths ...fertile or not.

A smaller enclosure should help Jack.

Grandpa Jack is doing fine there I see. Cool that he lives long and hope that he can with you a little bit longer. His home looks nice.

So cool, that’s a long time for a mantis and it looks like your taking good care of Grandpa jack. Enjoy him as much as you can now that he’s older!!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! And that information is helpful hysteresis! I'm really surprised by his endurance. I assume it's because he's captive, but we got him around L5 as a wild caught. He was hanging outside my husband's building with no bushes or trees nearby. He was pretty thirsty and hungry when I brought him home. 

I didn't know they drag their thoraxes when they get close to old age. Sometimes he hangs by his middle legs only and just lets his back legs dangle. He is adjusting fine to his new enclosure. No fretful crawling around, no easy startle reflexes. I haven't seen him fall either, which he probably would have already in the old enclosure. That one is currently being cleaned and "remodeled" with a divider and coconut substrate. I'm pretty excited.

@kwright Maybe it's just with European females. As they lose motor control of their legs and their gravid abdomens get so large, and they hold their rear legs so high, they just seem to pull themselves along with their raptorial arms. Sorry for the run on sentence. 😁

I love his name, that is such a cool name. Some male mantises surprise you and live for quite a long time, much longer then you would expect.

Latest posts