Great Mantid Cabinet/Shelving: $30

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lectricblueyes

Reaction score
Though I despise Walmart and the evil it represents :p as of tomorrow I am unemployed and can't always buy American made products. They have DVD/CD shelving unit that holds (21) 32oz cups perfectly. I did away with the backing so it's open-air and it's very stable. It has little feet on the bottom so it won't scratch your floors. It can have up to 7 shelves but I only needed 6 because my 32oz cups are tall. It's stable, cheap, and can be assembled in about 30 minutes. It comes in a black or Oak finish. Not bad for $30! I'll take a picture of my setup later. I have a tiny 1-bedroom apartment so you know this is a great use of space!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2318526

0004266601224_500X500.jpg

photo-2.jpg

UPDATE: I'm not so evil afterall!! The company that produces this product is an American company and has been around since the 1930's! yay! Sorry, I'm a huge pro-American buyer! I'm not trying to offend anyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about the loss of job. I have been unemployed since Feb.

I use a metel shelving unit but that might actually work better.

Sorry to hear about the loss of job. I have been unemployed since Feb. I use a metel shelving unit but that might actually work better.
Thanks Rick and sorry to hear about your employment woes as well. For $30, you can't go wrong here. Heck, grab one, set it up and if you don't like... you got 30 days to return. It screws together and therefore, can be un-screwed... unlike my jobless self...

Wife would kill me. I have this huge metal shelving unit now and another I don't use. Not to mention haven't had a single mantis in months.

So, how long are the shelves, Dave? About 28"(~70cm) long? Looks as though each shelf would take about six pots?

I realize that this is a commercial pic, but I can't stop windering about that ball on the far end of the fourth row down. A 12 ball gone bad? :D

So, how long are the shelves, Dave? About 28"(~70cm) long? Looks as though each shelf would take about six pots?I realize that this is a commercial pic, but I can't stop windering about that ball on the far end of the fourth row down. A 12 ball gone bad? :D
Model No.: 157-468

Shipping Weight (in pounds): 31.0

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 19.5 x 9.5 x 45.375

Instruction Manual: Y

Instruction Languages: English, Spanish, French

Assembled in Country of Origin: USA

Origin of Components: Imported

Wal-Mart No.: 000000000

So, how long are the shelves, Dave? About 28"(~70cm) long? Looks as though each shelf would take about six pots?I realize that this is a commercial pic, but I can't stop windering about that ball on the far end of the fourth row down. A 12 ball gone bad? :D
Dave said the bookcase would hold 21 pots, so maybe only 3 pots per shelf? The picture makes it look way bigger. I should start looking for some organization shelves too.. I have pots perched all over my window sills.. wife hates it!

I didn't follow your other thread.. did you stop building your huge cabinet?

Good deal, Dave! I hope it works out well for you! :D

Phil, I'm still working on measuring my shelving units, taking pics (and a video of the bug room!) and getting those to you like I said I would... :unsure: uh... a couple of weeks ago, now? :rolleyes: Just call me "Ms. Procrastinator!" :p

Cool blue I'll look for this. Wow how many of us are out of work her I see Rick, Dave, & my self wow.Danny
I'm laid off right now too (seasonal contruction work). But I expect to be going back to work likely soon. Just haven't been too excited about going to the Labor Hall yet this year. :rolleyes: Too many things going on in the bug room! Thank goodness my husbands working... :lol:

Model No.: 157-468Shipping Weight (in pounds): 31.0

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 19.5 x 9.5 x 45.375

Instruction Manual: Y

Instruction Languages: English, Spanish, French

Assembled in Country of Origin: USA

Origin of Components: Imported

Wal-Mart No.: 000000000
The shelves, even when you keep the backboard nailed on, will STILL comfortably fit (3) 32oz cups for each shelf for a total of 21. I'm going back to Walmart to pick up some $10 lamps. They are clip-on lamps which will be perfect to help light the cups. I can run the cable down the back, along the edge and plug it into a power strip which I can easily turn on/off when working with the mantids. HERE is a link to the $10 clip-lamps.

Here is a photo of the shelving with the cups:

photo-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal, Dave! I hope it works out well for you! :D Phil, I'm still working on measuring my shelving units, taking pics (and a video of the bug room!) and getting those to you like I said I would... :unsure: uh... a couple of weeks ago, now? :rolleyes: Just call me "Ms. Procrastinator!" :p
Kat you should do this soon. I've been in your bug room and it's simply put "A-MAZING"! You should see it.. she has all these shelving units, a compact refrigerator... very cool setup!

The shelves, even when you keep the backboard nailed on, will STILL comfortably fit (3) 32oz cups for each shelf for a total of 21. I'm going back to Walmart to pick up some $10 lamps. They are clip-on lamps which will be perfect to help light the cups. I can run the cable down the back, along the edge and plug it into a power strip which I can easily turn on/off when working with the mantids. HERE is a link to the $10 clip-lamps. Here is a photo of the shelving with the cups:

photo-2.jpg
The small clip lamps are around 3-4 bucks @ the home depot if you want to save some cash? ps its a good thing my wife is let me not rush out for a job so I can be a full time Dad :p , 7 years as a C.N.A. and then caned :angry: it sucks looking for something new ;)

Danny

keep counting everyone, ive been out of work sense feb. too! and hibiscussmile ill so move to ohio to work lol i love working! lol Stop looking at me like that everyone lol

I got a job opening here in OHio, u guys come up here I will put u to work.

Thanks for the photo of the shelf with containers in it. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't fit more 32oz containers. I was expecting like double the capacity. Maybe I'll have to build one after all.

Latest posts