Greetings!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ussjeep

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Janelle from Northern icy Virginia :0)

I recently acquired (female Carolina?) praying mantis from my balcony. She had been hanging out on my screen door for a couple of weeks (that I noticed anyways). We went from 70 degree days with a call for 32 degree weather... so I brought a frigid "Manti" into my apartment. Got a cage, then got a bigger cage (after she deposited an ootheca on the tree branch I picked up for her). Plus she's got more room to climb.

She is such a wild fascinating creature!! Glad I brought her in. But obviously I interjected in nature's big plan, and now have TWO ootheca (she put another one on the new fake tree branch tonight)! Being that I am from a cold environment, should I place both oothecae back outside and let them do their thing until Spring?? I told a friend of mine I would give her the branches to keep until Spring. Really not sure what would be the best process. Currently, both of them are within the cages indoors until I figure out a course of action.

My only other prior experience with baby praying mantis is when they had already hatched in my hall closet in Guam ;0)

Any recommendations are GREATLY welcome!! :0) Thanks! ~ Janelle

* oh ... And what kind is she? Carolina as suspected??

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

Yep, S. carolina. You can put the ooths outside to hatch in spring. I am all for giving this species help since I feel their numbers have declined due to so many non natives around. If you keep the ooths indoors they will hatch in a couple months.

Yep, S. carolina. You can put the ooths outside to hatch in spring. I am all for giving this species help since I feel their numbers have declined due to so many non natives around. If you keep the ooths indoors they will hatch in a couple months.
Awesome, thanks for the help Rick!

That's exactly how I got started with mantises in September with my Carolina mantises. I had one that had set up shop on my porch light and brought her in before the first freeze. Watched her mate and everything.

I've put her 3 ooth outside in a quiet part of the yard where it stays fairly untouched. Since they're WC, it's part of their cycle.

I've got one more to put outside lest it hatch indoors and I'm not prepared for that..

Latest posts