H. Grandis isn't looking so good...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciousmantis

Reaction score
He's sitting at the bottom of his cage, kind of sulking. One of his eyes is black and dead-looking, and his antennas are tweaked forward. He won't eat the cricket that I put in his cage, and I'm worried. What is wrong? :(

He is dying. Also please introduce yourself in the introductions forum.

When they start looking bad and have trouble functioning I usually put them in the freezer and end it. It means they are dying.

Where do you live that you can find a wild H. Grandis?

haha i'm pretty sure hierodula grandis does not live in southern california. i've lived in southern california all my life and i have never ever seen an hierodulas. in fact, i hardly ever ever see mantids here...i can probably count them all on one hand in fact. let's see, i've seen like 1 big female chinese mantis one morning on the tennis court wall, a brown twig/ground mantis in the morning next to a light (i still don't know what species they were, but they were extremely easily excitable and were small), a dead female Iris oratoria a friend found at his friend's front lawn, and a couple brown skinny mantises (might be the same species as the aforementioned brown twig/ground mantis...this guy was also easily excitable and was a crazy flyer) that i found in the span of 2 weeks since i moved down from LA to San Diego.

Ive found 5 wild Mantids over summer and fall here in LA just this year. One is a confirmed female European Mantis, the other small male may be an iris oratoria, the large green female I found on Halloween might be a limbata. I never truly know the species until I come here, with the exception of the European. She was easy enough to identify because of the spots on the insides of her arms.

I'm sure that she's an H. Grandis. She matches the pictures of them I found on MantisKingdom.
Post a pic here then so we can see. If you found it outdoors in Cali its no grandis.

i'm not sure how familiar with mantises, but a lot of mantises may look very similar and difficult to differentiate (and color is more often than not not a good indicator of species) for newbies.

Over here in MD I can't leave the house without stumbling accross scores of Idolomantis Diabolica and Rhombodera Basilis. They're ubiquitious much like the cockroaches and rats of Baltimore. We need to take a stand against the unlawful immigration of mantid illegals.

Over here in MD I can't leave the house without stumbling accross scores of Idolomantis Diabolica and Rhombodera Basilis. They're ubiquitious much like the cockroaches and rats of Baltimore. We need to take a stand against the unlawful immigration of mantid illegals.
LOL :lol:

Latest posts