H. grandis or H. membranacea?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzmantis

Reaction score
My first mantis I have ever owned was purchased from exotic-pets.co.uk and was a great start to my collection. But as time went on, many people on the forum were relating the species Hierodula Grandis with giant asian and Membrenacea as giant indian. On exotic-pets.co.uk they say that giant indian mantis is a hierodula grandis. I got a 'giant indian' but i'mnot sure which name they got wrong, did I get a Grandis or Giant Indian? It's a subadult male. Please identify it:

mantispics008.jpg

mantispics006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

You cannot tell if you have memebranacea or grandis from your picture, I'm sorry.

Best regards,

tier

The problem is: If a seller is using common names that means he is not knowing the correct one. And how can somebody tell this is "asian" or "indian" if this someone do not even know the words "membranacea" or "grandis"??? It is simply a circle of not-knowing.

Please do not try to find out if you have "asian" or "indian" but try to find out if you have membranacea or grandis.

Don't care which one is "asian" and which one is "indian"; this is common nonesense.

there is a few ways u can tell if its Membrenacea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

No, I'm not, but I know what I know. For example I know how to distinguish the species.

Best regards,

the microscope-man :)

Latest posts