Hatching during shipment...grrrr

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, females are even louder. This species startles rather easily. Just form a claw with your hand and try to grab them. Young adults display more often than older ones.

The noise is produced in a way resembling grasshoppers, but there are some differences. The stridulation apparatus of grasshoppers is more elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good reading this is, as my Male Idolos tend to staartle very easily, they threat pose when i walk in the room, if i look up form the computer, put flies in their tank, yet I have never heard them make a noise while doing it....

I will keep my ears open.

Mat.

my Male Idolos tend to staartle very easily, they threat pose when i walk in the room, if i look up form the computer, put flies in their tank, yet I have never heard them make a noise while doing it
The noise isn't produced every time, just when they are really agitated.

LOL do you guys also realixe that this topic is the most viewed (i,m 4000,st view) and the most pages !?!
thats because this spcies rules..one day when u have stoped killing yours u can get some. :lol: :lol: im only winding u up.just kidding..how are your mantids by the way?

thats because this spcies rules..one day when u have stoped killing yours u can get some. :lol: :lol: im only winding u up.just kidding..how are your mantids by the way?
...trade lives?!?! ther fine now well the most are in the forever hunting fields -.-

Last edited by a moderator:
my subadult male

2277027130_04b1b410d2_o.jpg

Great Scott! Raprorial arms are almost as big as the mantis itself!
yer there so cool..i know i keep saying it but im just hoping it sheds fine to adult..yen had about 50% loss from sub - adult so it can go either way.put it this way.il probably only have 1 shot at it..because sub adult,adults heck even nympths are impossible to get of this species..u dont want to know what i paid for a 4th instar pair. :eek: Price is £40 for the pair inc postage..thats 80$ for a breeding pair which where L4..i got ripped off..but i have them now..and i wanted them that much i was willing to pay over the odds..i really hope all goes to plan..i would love to work with this species in the future,,i have a few big net cages spare just incase i pull it off..im a long way off yet tho so heres hoping.

The species is not always available, as there are at most 2 generations per year and so they are offered just two times a year. I offer them actually, but this doesn't help anyone here as they have to be picked up personally. I don't ship them in winter. As it is not clear how many ooths will hatch, noone who breeds this species can foresay how much surplus there will be. I have to say that one breeding pair isn't sufficient in this species.

The species is not always available, as there are at most 2 generations per year and so they are offered just two times a year. I offer them actually, but this doesn't help anyone here as they have to be picked up personally. I don't ship them in winter. As it is not clear how many ooths will hatch, noone who breeds this species can foresay how much surplus there will be. I have to say that one breeding pair isn't sufficient in this species.
so if they both become adult and i mate them they wont be any good?

yer there so cool..i know i keep saying it but im just hoping it sheds fine to adult..yen had about 50% loss from sub - adult so it can go either way.put it this way.il probably only have 1 shot at it..because sub adult,adults heck even nympths are impossible to get of this species..u dont want to know what i paid for a 4th instar pair. :eek: Price is £40 for the pair inc postage..thats 80$ for a breeding pair which where L4..i got ripped off..but i have them now..and i wanted them that much i was willing to pay over the odds..i really hope all goes to plan..i would love to work with this species in the future,,i have a few big net cages spare just incase i pull it off..im a long way off yet tho so heres hoping.
Yeah - being ripped off on mantids seems to be a problem, so I hope that one day I'll be able to breed this species as well. Man, some charge 80$ for Gongylus ooths, that's insane.

Back to the topic - you have a very low chance to hit the mother lode, sorry - I'm currently breeding I. lateralis and some females seem to be infertile and unable to breed, some are unapproachable, and only a couple seems to be okay. With this species this may be even harder - it's just like with P. paradoxa or H. coronatus - you might have a pair, but that does not warrant the next generation.

You just have to have a lot of them to make sure that there are willing to mate, and fertile - it's best to buy a tent, two heating lamps and a truckload of fly pupae and then purchase an ooth - with a whole batch you will be safer.

Christian, how many ooth can we expect from a female? It has been a while since the female produce her first ooth. My guess is probably only 5-6 ooth, unless she can live much longer. Here are the ooth being incubated.

ooth6.jpg

ooth7.jpg

MJ, you can do it!! i am looking forward to see your idolomantis threat pose pics :D best of luck.

One pair may be sufficient, if all goes fine, but the chance that this may not be the case is rather high.

Given that all there are no losses at the adult molt, and that he is not too old when she is ready, the males are often the dumb ones in this species. Some of them are just losers, others really good copulators. In subsequent generations, you need of course more than one male. In my stock most males perform well, but if you have just a bad one, you cannot switch to another.

@Yen: yeah, about 4 to 7 ooths is a realistic assumption. Later ooths may not be fertilized anymore, though.

Hey macro

Did you get your idolos form Martin, because I bought 4 from him at the same time as you acording to the forum, and the 2 that survived were both male and adult from 2 weeks ago.

think i payed 33 quid posted for the 4.

Mat.

I thought ide add...

I posted my two adult males to spain from the uk, they arrived alive and well 3 days later.

Just if anyone was wondering about sending this sp around.

Latest posts