Hatching during shipment...grrrr

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey macroDid you get your idolos form Martin, because I bought 4 from him at the same time as you acording to the forum, and the 2 that survived were both male and adult from 2 weeks ago.

think i payed 33 quid posted for the 4.

Mat.
no i didnt..i got them from reptile forum and paid 4x what u paid.ripped off but i have a pair so fingers crossed..i

ok my male is about to shed to adult..WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO check out its wing buds.

2292675012_fb5b506cfe_o.jpg

2292675432_577bde22fc_o.jpg

my male has just started sheddding to adult..i hope to be back later with good news..fingers crossed.

wooooo so far so good..every thing fine..he just has to get his abdermen out and woooo i got 1 to adult :D now i need to get the female to adult...shes about 1-2 weeks behind him..oh how long do idol males last as adult in 90f?

WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Congrats Scott :lol:

Bloody lucky so and so :blink:

Cant wait for your macro pics of an adult

u never know..The mantid god might be looking over me willing this to work. :unsure: :lol: just the female to go now. :D and your right i have been very lucky,So far :unsure:

i got 1 yen..its not the best but i got one none the less.. :) ~Your right they do threat poses alot more when they hit adult..

2301527379_f183ed954f_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God for your addiction!
If i cant breed these 2 for some reson i would love to buy an ooth from somewhere..i could really have a crack at breeding them then..hint hint yen how are your ooths doing :lol:

Way to go MJ!! :D Lucky you to get a great shot of him showing threat pose. You must have sleep with your camera all the time :p It took me a good month after they matured before i got that shot! :eek: My first ooth is 4 week old (29days) so hopefully another 2 weeks to go. All the best to your idolo female.

Way to go MJ!! :D Lucky you to get a great shot of him showing threat pose. You must have sleep with your camera all the time :p It took me a good month after they matured before i got that shot! :eek: My first ooth is 4 week old (29days) so hopefully another 2 weeks to go. All the best to your idolo female.
good luck with your 1st ooth hatching..

Well for those managed to join in the chatting group with me couple of weeks ago knew my first hatch was a disaster, many nymphs stuck on the ooth and only two managed to squeeze it out of the shed alivve :(

mismolt5.jpg

hatchling1.jpg

Today finally I have a better "living" hatching rate, although only about 20 nymphs, i feel like i can really retire now :p

hatch3-1.jpg

hatch1-1.jpg

Thanks for following this long and sometimes out of topic thread (wrong topic to begin with). Best of luck to other idolomantis breeders in this forum. If i can do it, you can too!!

well 20 per ooth just sucks big time..the size of the ooth and only 20 nymphs..i can see why there so much money now..still waiting for my female to shed..any day now..im worried that the male will die before shes ready..only time Will tell..thanks for posting all this great info..its been a great thread..

20 larvae is really not much. My last ooth had 55, the one before 76. On the other hand, not every female got paired. This species remains a tricky one.

I cant think of the last time I saw and idolo ooth for sale .. maybe i just dont google well enough ;- )

Once i go thru the adult giant aisan to ooth to adult to ooth I will feel more comfortable giving it a shot with another species of mantis ....

My babies are doing well from the first ooth .. the second ooth is doing ok .. the thrid has not hatched (giant asians here)

so it will be some time until i am ready to try the idolos, though if i had the chance sooner i might give it a go ...

I have the basement space picked out and have the support of my wife ;-)

To think, all of this started with an unexpected hatching during shipment. Then those survivors now have children. I know I wasn't here to "talk" with you guys during this journey, :( but I sure had fun reading the thread. :D I hope your pair produces a couple of fine ooths MJ. :)

I don't mean to double post, but yen, are your adults still alive? And aren't the adults usually dead when nymphs hatch? :huh: Just a quick question.

Latest posts