hcarlton's Mantid Photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of breeding, anyone know what it takes to encourage European mantids to lay their ooths? Or if it requires a certain time of year? Both my females are mated, one of them at least twice (maybe both), but they refuse to lay.
I don't have any previous experience with Europeans, but I have four wild-caught ones as of just recently and I bred them. The first female of the two laid her first egg case (with me) a couple days ago, which was a couple days after mating, when she was already quite big. I have a mix of fake plants and twigs of different widths in there, but she actually just laid on the mesh lid, so I guess she didn't really like what I offered! Not sure if that helps any haha. I have heard of people free ranging their females on a house plant to encourage laying as well, but maybe closed in a small room to be safe.

Hopefully something works for you, good luck!

The one room I could close them in has plants that eat insects and my bed, so that's a no go. 

Hmm, Well, I hope they lay soon! Can they eat more? 

Congratulations on the budwing ooth, by the way!

- MantisGirl13

But my female Lineola still got a hold of my male and devoured him. She’s a complete monster lol. So now I’m on the lookout for another male
Just curious... did you let her finish eating him? I only ask because I may have have to make that decision very soon. 

Just curious... did you let her finish eating him? I only ask because I may have have to make that decision very soon. 
There was no getting him back lol. And even at that point he was long gone. It’s best to just let her have the free meal.

Hmm, Well, I hope they lay soon! Can they eat more? 

Congratulations on the budwing ooth, by the way!

- MantisGirl13
If I let them eat more than I already give them, I fear the green female might explode, and the yellow would be not far behind....they're about as pudged as they can be.

;)  Ok, then, I guess we just have to wait and pray that they are laid!

- MantisGirl13

Starting to think that in order to get the mantids laying, I need to complain about them...2 days ago the green European laid an ooth! Of course, she did it right over top of the zipper to her enclosure, but still...

;)  lol 

I am glad she laid her ooth finally! Were you able to get it off of the zipper? I hope you get lots of little babies!

- MantisGirl13

Wow! She is very pretty! She is a very light green, which is beautiful!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts