Heat Lamp

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
Hey

So I just bought Heat Lamp with a 50 watt bulb. I am new to this but is it ok if i rest the lamp on the metal screen lid? Or is that a major fire hazard?

Thanks

I wouldn't do it. You may cook them. Mine came with a clip, and I got a big shelving unit, so I have different places to put it.

That's what I'm saying. You'd be surprised how hot it can get without distance. Even a foot away, mine is a good 86 degrees (and a lower wattage).

Yeah get a stand for it! Gongys like it hot but not that hot!

I had mine in a big cage with a screen lid but I took mosquito screen mesh and made a hammock of it on the bottom of the lid do they wouldnt be in direct contact with the lamp and it worked out ok

I had mine in a big cage with a screen lid but I took mosquito screen mesh and made a hammock of it on the bottom of the lid do they wouldnt be in direct contact with the lamp and it worked out ok
That's a good idea!

Plus, I think you'd have to think about the material the lamp is touching. If it's some sort of fabric or synthetic fiber, you could start a fire or melt it (and glue). If it's a metal screen, the metal will get extra hot.

Plus, I think you'd have to think about the material the lamp is touching. If it's some sort of fabric or synthetic fiber, you could start a fire or melt it (and glue). If it's a metal screen, the metal will get extra hot.
+1

I called and asked they said its actually best to do that becasue the temperature wont go any higher than 90 with that wattage. Oh and about the screen getting hot-I just touched it and it was only a little warm but I will try to to make stand

I use the reptile terrarium screen lids, they r designed to withstand high heat from lamps, just be careful as a big basking bulb will get so hot it pulverizes any foreign organic matter it touches

I called and asked they said its actually best to do that becasue the temperature wont go any higher than 90 with that wattage. Oh and about the screen getting hot-I just touched it and it was only a little warm but I will try to to make stand
I have my heat lamp clamped to a tv tray and my cages underneath it, they r a good 12 inches away and I can angle it in favor of a particular cage if need be

I use the reptile terrarium screen lids, they r designed to withstand high heat from lamps, just be careful as a big basking bulb will get so hot it pulverizes any foreign organic matter it touches
Ah ok. I guess it makes sense that someone's already thought to develop such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts