Heat

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhistsoldier88

Reaction score
Ok, a lot of mantids require heat to survive. How can i get that heat other than the sun? I've read where heat mats crack glass and ruin tanks. Lamps? I dont see how it would hold on the tank... HELP!

I have found that ceramic heat bulbs don't burn up, and if placed under the enclosure the heat will radiate up. To lower the cost of a bulb heating 24 hours a day, I use a thermostat to turn the ceramic bulb off when the temperature hits the desired range. To avoid heating the whole room to do this, i place the mantis containers inside a larger plexiglas box so I am heating less room. You can see this under "housing" the title is "housing a large amount of mantids"

You don't have to do it as big as I did, it works well. I have temps from 73 to 85 degrees, depending how close the mantids are to the bulb.

CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

Mantisplace.com

well someone is gonna send me an Egyptian mantis ooth (if i say yes...) and according to yens site it should be around 80 F minimum. Can they survive room temp and do well? And by how much does humidity increase the temp in the enclosure? (in F please)

You shouldn't need an external heat sourcfe even for ooths. Room temps are usually fine. Most external heat sources just dry out the air.

figured it was :D im not a complete noob :lol: well i have the perfect container for an adult... :roll: thats my luck....ill head to the store or nicks place...might get a nursery!

Latest posts