Heating your bug room.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterF

Reaction score
With my introduction of new species this summer, the coming drop in temps in our BugZoo is more meaningful than previously. The Tarantulas, roaches, and darklings never really cared so much. But I am worrying that 70 ish isn't suitable.

I pulled out the old space heater, but when I went to run it, it sparked. So bugger all to that.

Our zoo is an overtaken office. It shares a thermostat w/ two other offices and has a vent feed back.

A new space heater is cheap enough, and a perfectly fine solution.

At this point heat pads or lamps are not suitable for the sheer number of tanks. though some may be used for specific tanks that need to be topped off.

Discounting elaborate solutions like independent thermostats for your bug room, do any of you have methods, experience, or suggestions we should consider before settling on using a space heater. Beyond that, any suggestions for types, brands of space heaters (electric only).

A humidifier will also be in use.

Get a couple of humidifiers and they may raise the ambient temp enough to not warrant a space heater. I have no recommendation on that, but the shop lights with clips you can get at WalMart and a 100 watt bulb or slightly less are pretty effective for heating an enclosure

I think you're right on track - space heater plus humdifier. I like the radiator style space heaters, since there's less likelihood of something catching fire, and they seem to do a better job a evenly heating the room.

Let us know how it goes...

Space heater. Mist more often or get a humidifier. Mine are in my computer room and that extra heat helps. I attached a plexiglass front cover to my shelf and put foam insulation on the other three sides. I have a herp on the bottom of the shelf and his heat lamps keep the whole thing warm.

I've been using a space heater,bot i have these fountains that pruduce fog in and around my containers.So far my molts have been perfect,but i don't know if the fog helps.

Latest posts