Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geckoguy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently took an interest in raising mantis and this seemed like the perfect place to start to find the information that I need. A little about me: From Eastern PA, I have a BA in Anthropology/Archaeology and an Ill have a MS in Resource Management in 2 months, enjoy backpacking, photography, and herpatology. I currently am raising a leopard gecko, Leucomelas PDFs, and several cultures of FFs. So I decided that keeping mantis might be an interesting addition to my collection. I was thinking of starting by getting a Chinese or Religiosa Ooth but I am not really sure what happens when a few hundren little manits hatch. I currently have a 10 gal vert. vivarium set up but I would assume that is too small to house all of the probable hatchlings in? Maybe not? If not its always another excuse to build another enclosure! Or perhaps I should start by getting one or two of a smaller species? Any way time to do some research and comments on my thoughs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Braden

Welcome to the forum! :) The 10 gal vert vivarium is more than enough room for hatching nymphs. Keep in mind even if you get a couple hundred nymphs, there usally is a high death rate with hatchling nymphs. You can keep them all together until you have a more managable amount to work with.

Welcome, welcome! From OHIO! With the chinese and religiosa, u will have maybe a dozen live after the first couple molts, so your tank is gonna be just fine!

Thanks for the help I am now waiting for my Ooth... oh the excitement begins!!!

Ill post a few pics of my Viv I plan on using in the appropriate section soon.

[SIZE=14pt]Yellow there from P-town, Co, I think maybe Pseudharpax virescens-Gambian spotted-eye they are a small mantid that you could keep in your setup in a group & you have fruit flys pots, unlike the larger mantids, and you can find Ooth 4 sell around here or @MantidPlace. [/SIZE]

Welcome. A 10 gal is a great enclosure for those particular ooths. I tend to keep them all together in there until I have about 10 or so left. That will be a number I can easily manage once I split them up.

Hi there, Braden, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. :) The best tip I have is browsing back through previous threads... you'll learn lots! And if you have questions of a specific nature, the Search feature will help immensely. Again, welcome!

WavingWelcome.gif

Latest posts