HELP WITH IDOLOMANTIS NYMPHS!!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it really that endangered of a species?

As for noobs - I started selling I. lateralis nymphs for a reasonable price on Allegro (this is our Polish Ebay) - sometimes I'm completelly freeking baffled by some people's approach. They buy it, and then they go: "How do I keep this mantis?", "This is my second species...", "What? They cannot eat crickets and beetles?!"...

I really want to stick to trading ooths here on forum, at least I know they will be in good hands, I've never seen anyone without a substantial knowledge or a green thumb for mantids here - and I would like to see more species well established among ample breeders, not perishing at the hands of ineptitude.

HiI think they will dissapear in Africa soon, which means dissapear on our platet, if all people think this way. At least this thread prooves me.

regards

I'm thinking of a new signature:

I I I

WANT WANT WANT

NOW NOW NOW
such a small sampling to say is "prooves" anything .... so a couple people on this forum said they would buy an ooth off ebay, this proves everyone would ? (probably would, but still not enough of a sample to say for certanty)

how do you think the first people outside Africa got them ? are they bad people too ? seems you just took a swipe at everyone outside Africa who owns these to me .. /shrugs

do you own any non native mantis ? if yes ... you fall into the catagory also, dont you ?

Is it really that endangered of a species?As for noobs - I started selling I. lateralis nymphs for a reasonable price on Allegro (this is our Polish Ebay) - sometimes I'm completelly freeking baffled by some people's approach. They buy it, and then they go: "How do I keep this mantis?", "This is my second species...", "What? They cannot eat crickets and beetles?!"...

I really want to stick to trading ooths here on forum, at least I know they will be in good hands, I've never seen anyone without a substantial knowledge or a green thumb for mantids here - and I would like to see more species well established among ample breeders, not perishing at the hands of ineptitude.
i sale nympths on reptile forum..a few times they have gone to make a payment to buy them..just before they do it i say "have u got frute flys" frute flys they say?why do i need them?..

this is why its better buying of breeders than ebay..If your buying them from a breeder and hes a good one he will make sure there going to the right home..i always ask a few Q before i sale mine.like have u ever kepted mantids before.?.what are u going to feed them?

such a small sampling to say is "prooves" anything .... so a couple people on this forum said they would buy an ooth off ebay, this proves everyone would ? (probably would, but still not enough of a sample to say for certanty)how do you think the first people outside Africa got them ? are they bad people too ? seems you just took a swipe at everyone outside Africa who owns these to me .. /shrugs

do you own any non native mantis ? if yes ... you fall into the catagory also, dont you ?
trouble with buying ooths of this spcies off ebay and other ooths is u dont even know if there fertile or not..if yen sold me an ooth i would be confident he done every thing he could to get that ooth fertile..but buying off ebay its always a gamble imo.

Hi

You mix two problems:

You as a breeder can sell the ooths. You give advice and all the knowledge you can give. You bred them, so it is ok to sell them, If you want to sell them to "everybody".

That is not the problem. The problem is that africans go out and destroy the nature because you want them to do it.

such a small sampling to say is "prooves" anything .... so a couple people on this forum said they would buy an ooth off ebay, this proves everyone would ? (probably would, but still not enough of a sample to say for certanty)
This sample is just another of a lot. You are lucky you don't know.

how do you think the first people outside Africa got them ? are they bad people too ? seems you just took a swipe at everyone outside Africa who owns these to me .. /shrugs
I tell you: By spending severals years of their lifetime, spendig several thousands (not hundreds) of dollars and not to forget: Risking their lifes several times. And of course they just did it for scientific research and to breed them, but not to sell only one in the first years.

The only native mantids in germany are forbidden to keep or breed by law to make sure not all the guys not knowing anything about them pick them up. Africa is not as developt in this point unfortuanately.

There is no mantid in stock which is so difficult and every generation is the next challange for the best breeders on the world, in fact this species should not be sold out at ebay.

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
trouble with buying ooths of this spcies off ebay and other ooths is u dont even know if there fertile or not..if yen sold me an ooth i would be confident he done every thing he could to get that ooth fertile..but buying off ebay its always a gamble imo.
It is a dice roll, like they guy who was offering to sell idolo ooth for 20$ (saw it on my search the other day on another site for selling) .... gotta think that was 1) a scam 2) already hatched ooth he was selling ...

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont see an issue with ebay. on the few occasions ive bought mantids ive never had a seller outside ebay ask me if i knew how to look after them and i cant see why an ebay seller wouldnt offer that information like any other. its just another venue, its conveinient, you get buyer protection, and its an incentive to breed more stock for a guaranteed eventual market (thiis is in the back of most ppls minds isnt it). also if someones paying £40 for a pair of nymphs or an ooth then thats a pretty good incentive for that person to research and look after them.

about wild caught idolomantis; although i wouldnt condone the trade in rare animal products like cat skins or reptile or bird trade, mantis are very 'niche', (probably only a few hundred ppl in europe have ever heard of them) most likely reasonably common over a vast area of sparsly populated semi desert/savanna where they are adapted. i doubt the collecting has much more than a trivial local impact around certain towns and environmental destruction/ie overgrazing etc is much more important. in fact trade in wildlife can be benificial in saving habitat- think of butterfly farms in asia that helps protect forest from being cut down. id prefer to see captive breeding techniques perfected to make this an easily aquired mantis which would mean they are not exploited in the wild at all.

whoever said having them on ebay might increase their overall availabilty is deluded. it will most likely mean more dead idolomantis.

well i dont know where they came from but i am trying to do the best i can for them. got a 40w sunglo bulb today for them, just setting them up. hopefully any survivors to adulthood i have left, i'll be keeping a pair of and sell of any others to the proper people who know how to care for them

It is not quite clear yet if the international trade threatens this species. Some problems ramain, though. First, this species is not distributed everywhere but just locally, and secondly, it is searched for ooths intensively since a couple of years. It may well dissappear locally due to overexploitation. It is not known if this is true already, but there is a certain likelihood.

People should reconsider their abilities and skills: Has it to be Idolomantis? Am I ready for it?

Until today, the answer must be "no" in 90% of the cases! And this is a fact, because the question we pose is: where are all the hundreds to thousands of larvae we sold over the years? Where are the other thousands of larvae that hatched from imported ooths? Where is all this progeny? This insects were literally "used and worn out" and it is still going on. This was not the initial intention of this hobby.

Regarding ebay, it's just disgusting in my eyes to sell animals at an auction. It is "just" an ethical problem. But hey, regarding the stuff I wrote above, nobody seems to care about ethics anyway.

We don't really deserve this planet.

Hi

secuner, have you read the thread "hatching during shipment, grrr" in the "general mantids discussion"?You can find all important information you need inside this thread.

regards

we don't deserve this planet? i think you've got yourself a bumper sticker.

this planet has done quite well without us and wil continue when we are gone. you are talking about bugs. do the tens of thousands of African children who die every day get you this upset?

Jesus Christ people - this is a happy time, let's ot agrue about ethics today - let's leave it for later.

i got the bulb and everything and what happens theres a fault with the bulb holder and it doesn't work, so i've had to set up a normal light bulb as temp. not sure f 60 w or 100 w? there the ones i got. and what do you do at night to keep them warm?, carn't leave a bright bulb on all night

i got the bulb and everything and what happens theres a fault with the bulb holder and it doesn't work, so i've had to set up a normal light bulb as temp. not sure f 60 w or 100 w? there the ones i got. and what do you do at night to keep them warm?, carn't leave a bright bulb on all night
heating mat under the fishtank (if you are using such a thing to house them) would provide the warmth thru the night. i would suggest one of those temp/humidity guages you can purchase to help you keep them in a range they best suited for.

i have lighting on 24hours a day.. mantids dont need sleep...

cool, well i finally managed to get them up to temperature :lol: , 30C, with a 60w bulb and tin foil wraped round as a insulator/reflector

Latest posts