Horse head grasshopper

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
pseudoproscopia latirostris

These things are so weird, I'd love to hear from the folks over seas if they've tried these as feeders? Pets? These are siiickly cool in my book. Let us all know what your experience has been for these marvelous looking creatures! These are native to Peru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two nice pix I found on the web. These things are serious! hahaha..

Picture036.jpg
2097049415_f76861c4d1.jpg

Really hope one day us states' peoples will be legally allowed to keeper and raise these cool insects as pets, indian sticks are nice feeders.

that is one cool looking grasshopper yo! never even knew it existed until about 5 minutes ago!

I've had stock of them before, as has at least one other US member on this forum that I know of. Mine didn't fare well in captivity, but I had a lot of mouths to feed at that time (back in the phasmid days). Many people have been very successful with them.

not sure, i positive some 1 on here could id it, or guide us to a good source to id it.

Igor Siwanowicz has some great pics of these.

3932251-lg.jpg

More of his photos here.

I'd love to see one in person and get some footage.

I've been down to Peru and have seen these crazy looking insects myself and Yes, they're hilarious looking with somewhat anthropomorphic features.

8295991-lg.jpg

My friends found this guy while we were visiting Puerto Maldonado, Peru back in 2008 doing wildlife photography. They came running to me saying "Look what we got for you to photograph!" I was excited, as I have never seen one of these before. The face on it is so comical. :D

Why it is so problematic to keep them in the US?

In europe we are culture in time 4 Species of Proscopiidae.

If any interested I could offer some Nymphs or maybe better eggs for sending.

Apioscelis bulbosa male:

Apioscelis bulbosa female:

Proscopia luceomaculata:

Proscopia scabra:

Proscopia scabra:

Proscopia spec.:

Pseudoproscopia latirostris:

@Flower Mantis: The pic that you hast posted isn't a Horsehead (Proscopiidae) it is a Acrida spec.

Greetings from Germany

Chris