Housing for Gongylus and Sibylla nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeatzee

Reaction score
I have their adult cages already setup, but im not sure how to house them as nymphs. Obviously they cannot climb smooth surfaces so how do you guys contain them? The Sibylla's will be too small for house flies so the cages must be able to contain fruit flies also.

now my options off the top of my head:

Use small sized criter keeper and modify with netting on the sides

Net cage (can they keep FF's in?) - will these be to big in the fact that the nymphs will never see the fruit flies?

Other - If you guys have pics of how you kept your gongies or similar species as nymphs please post them, or atleast give me a run down ;)

Thanks,

Tanner

Last edited by a moderator:
If you keep nymphs in a net cage, they will tend to climb to the top, though a number will stay on the three net sides.

It's a good idea to use "wild" winged ffs in nets. They will tend to fly toward the top, but many will find the sides of the cube, trying to "reach the light" just in time for lunch.

I generally keep twigs in all of my 32oz deli cups. They provide a useful route up and down which the nymphs can wander in search of prey, and they make them independent of the sides of the pot.

Sibylla can climb plastic I believe. You could glue paper towel on the sides of 32 oz containers for the gongylus until they molt to L3/4 (able to take houseflies). I used twill for my net cages. Nothing comes in, and nothing is able to escape...

If you keep nymphs in a net cage, they will tend to climb to the top, though a number will stay on the three net sides.It's a good idea to use "wild" winged ffs in nets. They will tend to fly toward the top, but many will find the sides of the cube, trying to "reach the light" just in time for lunch.

I generally keep twigs in all of my 32oz deli cups. They provide a useful route up and down which the nymphs can wander in search of prey, and they make them independent of the sides of the pot.
I guess i'll just have to work with what I have when they arrive, and if I feel i need the net cages I will get a few. Thanks for the response.

Sibylla can climb plastic I believe. You could glue paper towel on the sides of 32 oz containers for the gongylus until they molt to L3/4 (able to take houseflies). I used twill for my net cages. Nothing comes in, and nothing is able to escape...
Well thats a relief if they can :rolleyes:

The gongylus are arriving as L3 so are 32oz containers to small for individual housing until they are bigger?

If you keep nymphs in a net cage, they will tend to climb to the top, though a number will stay on the three net sides.It's a good idea to use "wild" winged ffs in nets. They will tend to fly toward the top, but many will find the sides of the cube, trying to "reach the light" just in time for lunch.
+1

And even the tiny flying melanogasters do not escape livemonarch.com's net cages. I've raised my first batch of Gongys from ooth to adult, right in the same 12x12 net cage. It seems to have worked pretty well at all stages. I highly recommend the net cages, and not just for Gongys. ;)

+1 And even the tiny flying melanogasters do not escape livemonarch.com's net cages. I've raised my first batch of Gongys from ooth to adult, right in the same 12x12 net cage. It seems to have worked pretty well at all stages. I highly recommend the net cages, and not just for Gongys. ;)
I will have some gongy next week. I have the same net cages. Yours did ok being together?

I will have some gongy next week. I have the same net cages. Yours did ok being together?
Yes... no cannibalism noted at all when well fed. I did have one casualty when I was low on food and out for several days. The subs or single adult females ate a freshly molted to adult male. But that was the only time it was observed.

The gongylus are arriving as L3 so are 32oz containers to small for individual housing until they are bigger?
No...If they are already coming as L3 just keep em in the net cage and give them house flies, they can take em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all the help. I just ordered one from where katnapper apparently does (I just followed the link you posted in the "show your enclosure" thread)

Latest posts