Housing options?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently keep my mantises in open canning jars with paper towels covering the tops and I pack about and inch of dry sphagnum moss to cushion the bottom. I was wondering if there is an ideal container for keeping small mantises (mine are L1 and L2). I'm having a lot of trouble finding good mesh containers at local pet supply stores and I don't want to order any until my mantises get a bit larger. Is sphagnum moss good for lining mantis containers? Or would they prefer something else?

Also, I don't know how often I need to clean the containers because it seems like the moss is still half-alive (I mist the jars once or twice a day) and I take my mantises out of the jars to feed them so there are no leftover parts to clean up. I had some trouble with mold growing on older dead moss, but that was before I started using the half-alive moss.

the container is to wet, u do not need that much moisture. Most people go with the 32 oz with cloth lids until they are bigger, gives a lot of room and a clear view of whaz's appening! :p

Latest posts