how to care for a Empusa mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
is this species easy to rear? i have fruitflies, and dubia roaches all different sizes.

i am looking to get some of these, and am curious if this is a hardy species? do they get big? can u handle them once they're adults? how long do they live for? what should i provide them to live in?

thanks in advance,

~ Brian

Did I not answer all of your questions in the PM? :unsure:
yea lol my bad dude, im pretty positive i made this thread prior to hearing back from you. for all, i have had info. sent to me, and thanks for sending me the info bro. :)

I keep them a lot like my violins. Hot and dry. They like a basking spot of about 114F and the general temperature being 85-95. (This is easy to achieve. All that is needed is a 60watt lightbulb right next to their cage). Feed only flies/moths/butterflies. They are more prone to eat each other than violins, but only when food runs low. They hate being misted, although I do it once a week. When I mist them, they run around like their butts are on fire. :lol: They grow at a normal rate when young, but really speed up as they get older. Mine were sub-adult for 10 days! :blink: They lay LOTS of ooths, but with a 15 nymph max hatch rate. They usually hatch in the 7-10 range. Just like violins, they can not climb smooth plastic and glass. I use screen cages (from livemonarch.com), and plastic cages with sanded sides.

Oh, they are very pretty as adults. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
You realise that your advice is missing a critical component, which is the diapause?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts