How to film my mantis eating a fly ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Reaction score
Thing is that if i film her eating a fly i need to close the vivarium and then we will see reflection on the windows and the film will not be really good looking...

I wanted to do a slow mo with my iphone but i think it's almost impossible because it takes some time until she notice the fly and catch her.

Any ideas to be able to film it through a window without any reflection ? thx

It's really impressive how fast she catches them. I gave her a fly i caught in my house yesterday, i usually feed her grasshoper but i wanted to change a bit. I already have another fly waiting in a box.

Lots of patience, trial and error, and many attempts to get what you are happy with. ;) Like most things it is a skill that is learned and there are few shortcuts.

The glass needs to be as clean as you can get it (both sides), and disable the flash (any flash will cause reflections) I doubt it uses flash though in video mode. To prevent reflections you will need to position the camera lens directly on the glass, or at an offset angle depending on the lighting/mantid position/how close the iphone can focus/etc. With either method try using a desk lamp and moving it to get the mantid in good light without the light shinning directly in the camera lens.

For best results have the mantid out of the habitat, have the lid/door open, or position the camera lens over a small open feeding hole - any will provide a clear uninterrupted view and a much sharper video (and no chance of reflections or dirty glass). Then give the mantid the fly using thongs/tweezers, she should grab it when it is close to her.

I would take her out of her enclosure and offer the fly to her with tongs so you can film her. Good luck! :)

Latest posts