How to stop a mantis from vomiting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I feel really bad for inviting him over to this forum. I sincerely thought that we could learn from his breeding and rearing experiences even though it might contradict the opinions of other members here. I never expected him to react in such a rude and childish manner.

My sincerest apologies to everyone in this forum, especially Zoe and Phil, for inviting him over.

Yes, especially when I disagreed with the fact that moulting was influenced by humidity rate, and I had to post pictures showing my mantids had moulted successfully at only around 35% humidity, and yet 2 breeders did not believe me ! Or when I observed several successful matings with my freshly moulted Hymenopus females (4 to 10 days after their final moult), and I showed them the empty spermatophore I had found (THE evidence that successful mating did take place in spite of the young age of the females), and yet, they said I was "nuts" or a liar. Not that people would not agree with my ideas as Idolomantis put it, but they would not agree with the facts I brought to their eyes. So I said to myself that I was not going to bring them evidence that I am not a mythomaniac by asking for a psychiatric assessment and posting it on the forum (anyway, I'm sure they would have questioned the authenticity of the paper) . That's why I decided to quit this forum. So I repeat, the problem did not lie in some people not agreeing with my opinions (which everyone is free to do as an opinion does not necessarily reflect the truth, and so it CAN be questioned), but in some stubborn people not believing what their eyes could see. Am I to blame for that ??? Now, if my presence of this forum annoys, please let me know, and I'll leave the forum. Anyway, if I feel that I am perceived as being too controversial, I will leave the forum by myself, so please do not worry.

Freshly moulted Deroplatys desiccata. Humidity 23% :

dscn4824.jpg

Moulting female Hymenopus coronatus :

dscn4531.jpg

Successful moulting afew minutes later. Humidity rate : around 35% :

dscn4532.jpg

Mating pair of Hymenopus coronatus Male aged 17 days, freshly moulted female aged 7 days, taking place at dusk:

dscn4722.jpg

Spermatophore found in the morning :

dscn4825.jpg
I don't understand what this had to do with the topic? Who said it was impossilbe for a mantis to moult in such low humidity? It's possible alright, but i would never risk one of my tropical mantids moulting in such low humidity. At some point a mantis is going to moult no matter what the humidity is like. I do believe they can hold out moulting for a bit if the humidity is not favorable.

Oh, and trying to pair mantids less than a week after reaching adulthood is not a good idear. In most cases the male will either be attacked or eaten. Not recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I feel really bad for inviting him over to this forum. I sincerely thought that we could learn from his breeding and rearing experiences even though it might contradict the opinions of other members here. I never expected him to react in such a rude and childish manner.My sincerest apologies to everyone in this forum, especially Zoe and Phil, for inviting him over.
Don't sweat it Sufistic! You did not know things would get out of hand? It would have been a fun debate if he could have acted his age! Roar!!!! :lol:

Not sure if this is true but happened to me once and i have never fed mantis freshly pupate fly (blue bottle or house fly) again. After a chat with Chuck he told me that soon after pupating flies will discharge 'waste' from their body stored during the pupa stage, i had two orchid mantis feeding on it and puke the day after. I have never 'tested' it on other species of mantis but prefer to believe it :huh:

Peter: Thank you so much! To you and all the staff!

Sufistic: Don't apologize, you didn't know he'd go batpoop insane.

Phil: Thank you very much :lol:

Yen: That's a very interesting idea.. Perhaps that was what's wrong!

I was referring to the comment about the tie clips not anyone elses comment mind you!

Not sure if this is true but happened to me once and i have never fed mantis freshly pupate fly (blue bottle or house fly) again. After a chat with Chuck he told me that soon after pupating flies will discharge 'waste' from their body stored during the pupa stage, i had two orchid mantis feeding on it and puke the day after. I have never 'tested' it on other species of mantis but prefer to believe it :huh:
I have heard this from somewhere before. I usally wait two days after the flies mature to feed them to my mantids. Thats only one of the reasons i wait a couple of days, not to mention gut loading the flies before being served. Some good info there yen! :)

Hmmm.... I had not heard this before. And due to a rather long shortage of flies, I just fed some freshly eclosed house flies to some of my mantids this morning.... as the pupae had finally started eclosing, and I was in a rush to give some of the ones who wouldn't accept hand feeding cut up roaches some food. I had already started seeing cannibalism in one of the cages and didn't want to wait. I hope all will be OK. I think I'll wait a couple of days after the shortage crisis is over from now on.

But what about when people put the pupae directly in the mantids cages to hatch? This isn't the way I normally do it, but I have done it before.

Hmmm.... I had not heard this before. And due to a rather long shortage of flies, I just fed some freshly eclosed house flies to some of my mantids this morning.... as the pupae had finally started eclosing, and I was in a rush to give some of the ones who wouldn't accept hand feeding cut up roaches some food. I had already started seeing cannibalism in one of the cages and didn't want to wait. I hope all will be OK. I think I'll wait a couple of days after the shortage crisis is over from now on.But what about when people put the pupae directly in the mantids cages to hatch? This isn't the way I normally do it, but I have done it before.
your mantids should be fine. I have done the same in a pinch. What species were you feeding them to anyway? Try to keep in mind when a mantis eats wild flies there also eating the shiznit the flies have been eating all day. Yum! :p

I never realized so many people were putting the pupae in the enclosures for them to eclose for there mantids to eat on there own. The only way i would do something like that is if i were to go away for a bit.

If it is a bacterial infection from poorly kept crickets, the infection is almost always incurable and fatal.

your mantids should be fine. I have done the same in a pinch. What species were you feeding them to anyway? Try to keep in mind when a mantis eats wild flies there also eating the shiznit the flies have been eating all day. Yum! :p I never realized so many people were putting the pupae in the enclosures for them to eclose for there mantids to eat on there own. The only way i would do something like that is if i were to go away for a bit.
My Gongys, Texas Unicorns, Orchid males, Congo nymphs, and a couple of Boxers.

I never realized so many people were putting the pupae in the enclosures for them to eclose for there mantids to eat on there own. The only way i would do something like that is if i were to go away for a bit.
No need to worry about escapee's..... toss in a few and they hatch in the enclosure and the mantids eat them.

Very simple and effective :D

My Gongys, Texas Unicorns, Orchid males, Congo nymphs, and a couple of Boxers.
I would just keep an eye on the orchids. The Gongys should be fine, and the Texicorns. I don't know about the others.

No need to worry about escapee's..... toss in a few and they hatch in the enclosure and the mantids eat them.Very simple and effective :D
Simple and effective, yes! Boring? yes! One of my most favorite things about htis hobby is whatching them catch food, and eat. :) ;)

I'm sorry to burst in and bring up that Oliver fool again, but I'm a pubescant thirteen year old girl-- and i act better than that on this forum!!! Maybe some people just has to "prove their false superiority" to make themselves feel good. Gosh that makes me mad! Yeesh!

And I'm sorry about your mantis Zoe :(

Simple and effective, yes! Boring? yes! One of my most favorite things about htis hobby is whatching them catch food, and eat. :) ;)
Its not like I only toss in a few pupae. I add large amounts and there are always some in the container..... like I said earlier its not like they die instantly if not eaten. Believe me, I love feeding my mantids and watching them eat, but transfering eclosed flies to containers is a pain :) Plus, I only have two mantids who eat BB's so its not a big deal. They are so fat that they dont eat much anyways :D

The nymphs on the other hand.....

Its not like I only toss in a few pupae. I add large amounts and there are always some in the container..... like I said earlier its not like they die instantly if not eaten. Believe me, I love feeding my mantids and watching them eat, but transfering eclosed flies to containers is a pain :) Plus, I only have two mantids who eat BB's so its not a big deal. They are so fat that they dont eat much anyways :D The nymphs on the other hand.....
With the fly thing, try putting them in the freezer for five minutes. Then when you take them out they'll look like they're dead...But it's a cunning deception! They'll start twicthing back to life within the next sixty seconds, and by then you'll have dumped then in with the mantis, and won't they have a rude awakening! but don't forget the flies in the freezer! (but if you do...Try putting salt on them. Though that may only work if the flies are drowning....) :D

Latest posts