How's my house..?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganelise9

Reaction score
Ok, I'm in the process of working on an idolo house. Let me know how I'm doing. Heheh. Disregard the area rug. It is only there to give me chuckles for now. I'll put down some shagnum moss, I swear. :lol:

2011-10-17_22-01-34_637.jpg

2011-10-17_22-01-41_986.jpg

I like the decor. Looks like an idolo might outgrow the enclosure though. What're the measurements?

That looks awesome to me! Idolos eh? Are you planing to breed 'em? I've heard they're really tricky but several forum members seem to have success lately!

I haven't raised any idolos yet but here are a couple of thoughts on your nice lookin setup:

What are the dimensions? And it looks like that housing is solid on all four sides? If so, I'm curious if you have made any modifications to allow for increased ventilation/circulation? Might not be necessary, I'm not sure how important it is for 'em.

I've heard that species is fairly "clumsy" for a mantis and can fall, can mismolt fairly often, etc. I think Precarious? suggests a modified safety net to help with their molts - as you probably noticed in the awesome Idolomantis Consolidated thread.

Yeah - take the time to read the Idolomantis Consolidated thread (lookes like you did).

If you don't put your climbing mesh on the sides, you'll see them struggle quite a bit (they can't climb the glass). You'd THINK they'd move on, but nooooooooo... they keep trying to climb the same spot for days!

Also, the small gap between the flat part of the lid and the angled part, might be a problem for L1-L4. You might need to put some gripping material in there as well.

i can't see the top very well, but I'm assuming it's ventilated. If not (or even so), you might want to cut a few holes in the back (where the screen already is in place). More ventilation is better.

Also: You want to experiment by turning the whole thing upside down. Cleaning the cage can be tricky if you have a lot of nymphs. It's much easier if everything pops off a bottom "lid" that can be cleaned and replaced, without disturbing them while they're hanging.

Also, you'll need a feeding "port" of some sort to get flies in, and keep others from getting out.

Looks nice, but I see too much slippery surface.

You can glue fake leaves or vines on the walls, screen or mesh.

You can also use a piece of very coarse sandpaper and sand all the smooth

areas inside.

This does not look as nice as fake plants, but it works very well, and gives them

a rough surface to climb on (you can not see threw it however!!).

Remember, the more stuff you glue in there, the harder it will be to clean.

Mantids dont require much, put they do love to hang upside down in the highest spot.

Nothing is more pathetic looking then a poor mantis continualy clawing away at the clear

plastic, or struggling to climb, only to loose it's grip on a slippery spot and fall!! :(

P.S. what brand of container is that?

it does not look like a Lee's Kritter Keeper!! No little clear door on the lid!!

I like yours better, where did you get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - take the time to read the Idolomantis Consolidated thread (lookes like you did).

If you don't put your climbing mesh on the sides, you'll see them struggle quite a bit (they can't climb the glass). You'd THINK they'd move on, but nooooooooo... they keep trying to climb the same spot for days!

Also, the small gap between the flat part of the lid and the angled part, might be a problem for L1-L4. You might need to put some gripping material in there as well.

i can't see the top very well, but I'm assuming it's ventilated. If not (or even so), you might want to cut a few holes in the back (where the screen already is in place). More ventilation is better.
Hahaha the same spot for days?

Yeah, offhand, I think it's about 9 by 12. It could probably use more ventilation I think (and the port would be helpful). What's a good way to get through hard plastic? A drill or dremel?

And yes, that thread was super helpful. I have it bookmarked. I found the mesh in the cross stitching section at the craft store but haven't tried it out yet.

Looks good, but as others have pointed out, try roughing the plain plastic sides with a sand-paper. I think your golden after that. Might be too small for an adult Idolo though, they do get quite big.

What a small world, I have the same exact flowers for my Orchids(Michael's?) they look and feel so real. I'm not sure if you've seen my enclosure set-ups but I'm guessing you have since I see the sticks on top? But you don't need to sand and IMPAIR your view if you don't want, you can simply add more vertical sticks, I like to use ones that have many sub branches like lilac or any type that spread out all over, and my Idolo's NEVER get stuck on the bottom for more than a few moments then climb right up to the top.

Looks good, your on the right track, once your mantis is in there you'll see whatever adjustments you need to make. ;)

Weird! I was trying to find flowers that have similar colors to the bugs. They do look pretty real. I love orchids..

Excellent. I would rather do more sticks I think.

Looks nice, but I see too much slippery surface.

You can glue fake leaves or vines on the walls, screen or mesh.

You can also use a piece of very coarse sandpaper and sand all the smooth

areas inside.

This does not look as nice as fake plants, but it works very well, and gives them

a rough surface to climb on (you can not see threw it however!!).

Remember, the more stuff you glue in there, the harder it will be to clean.

Mantids dont require much, put they do love to hang upside down in the highest spot.

Nothing is more pathetic looking then a poor mantis continualy clawing away at the clear

plastic, or struggling to climb, only to loose it's grip on a slippery spot and fall!! :(

P.S. what brand of container is that?

it does not look like a Lee's Kritter Keeper!! No little clear door on the lid!!

I like yours better, where did you get it?
I got it at a local pet store called Pet Supermarket. I can't remember the brand. It's actually a pretty crappy store all in all, but sometimes I find something.

I hadn't thought of sandpaper. That'd be grippy.

I sometimes use an old soldering iron to melt "ribs" on the inside of the plastic, so they can climb, but I can still see inside.

I got it at a local pet store called Pet Supermarket. I can't remember the brand. It's actually a pretty crappy store all in all, but sometimes I find something.

I hadn't thought of sandpaper. That'd be grippy.
I think I have a container like that. Does it only have a few slits on each side of the top?

I keep millipedes in it cause it has very bad ventilation and things go moldy within hours if I am not careful(my millies don't need alot of ventilation).

If it is one of the containers with minimal ventilation, be very carefulnot to crack it with your hole making tools, you will need some skill, and alot of good luck. :)

Nice setup! Madison, WI!? I live close to La Crosse! How do you plan on heating the mantids enclosure once Winter hits? I purchased a zoo med heat pad, but I don't think that is going to heat it up enough.

Cheers,

Mr.Mantid

Nice setup! Madison, WI!? I live close to La Crosse! How do you plan on heating the mantids enclosure once Winter hits? I purchased a zoo med heat pad, but I don't think that is going to heat it up enough.

Cheers,

Mr.Mantid
Nice! I've been wishing there were more folks on here nearby.

I'm using heat lamps. The general impression I've gotten from people on here is that the heat pads underneath don't heat the place up enough (and also should only be used with glass). Going to start with a 60 watt and a thermometer and see how it goes.

I just keep the heat set to 70F, and have heat lamps (swing arms with CFL's) running 14 hours a day from 8AM-10PM. Everything seems just fine with this setup. The more heat critical species gets placed closer to the lamp.

Latest posts