Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So pretty!!!! 😍

- MantisGirl13
Thankya! Im trying to speed her along, while slowing down her dude. ;)

Regardless, he seems ready to molt. He took a few chomps off a waxworm segment, but dropped it shortly after, with no intention of eating anymore.

Other than offering the occasional segment, he gets hydei. He's not eating much.

And the green ghost. See the brown in her too? I THINK she's a she.

20190212_012640.jpg

Looks female to me! A straight on shot of her crown would confirm, but looks female from what I can see

I've not seen a male green ghost personally. Orin says males who are green revert at the final molt, and only females stay green. 

The Molt Repolt, Feb 11 thru 17. 

👊😎

Date

Species

Mantis

Event 1

Event 2

Instar

2019-02-17

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii

PS2

Molt

L5

L4

2019-02-16

PS3

Molt

L4

L3

2019-02-16

Rhombodera megaera

R2

M

Molt

L7

L6

2019-02-15

Miomantis caffra

M2

M

Molt L7 Adult

L7 Adult

L6

2019-02-15

PS6

Molt

L4

L3

2019-02-13

Gongylus gongylodes

GG1

F

Molt

L6

L5

2019-02-11

Deroplatys truncata

DT1

F

Molt

L5

L4

2019-02-11

Phyllocrania paradoxa

G6

M

Molt

L4

L3

I'm so sorry! Do you know why?

Meh, not sure, really. There was a difference in regime between the sexed pair.

I kept the girl at same temps as the orchids, and fed her better prey, so as to speed her up.

The male was kept at room temps. Same humidity, and eating mainly hydei. This was to slow him down. 

He had lots to eat, but maybe room temps 24 x 7 affected his digestion? He never got to molt.

The seller keeps both genders at room temps, so it's unlikely.

Maybe i'll be able to find Ms. Truncata, and Ms. Bleph new dates later on down the line.  😔

My youngest son Caleb named her Alice Angel (from Bendy and the Ink Machine).

Had to post this, you can see why. Neat when they sit still long enough to snap a photo..

P. wahlbergii, i6 female

20190223_213725.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so sorry for your loss. Losing a mantis is awful, especially when you don’t know why. I think room temps are fine, my male has done well, although he grew very slowly. 

Unfortunately he’s already a subadult due to molt soon so I can’t help there. But good luck finding another male!

Also love the pseudo pic. Love the before and after comparison.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Losing a mantis is awful, especially when you don’t know why.
Thank you. I think I've done well so far, in that of all the mantises I've acquired in colder weather, my losses have been small. The truncata male is hard to reason. He should've been fine.

I'll start searching for a male soon enough.

Good news is I have a bleph breeding group coming to back up my female.

Also, a pantherina group. 

I'll  be working with a few species this spring, and with some luck, ill be successful. 

Also love the pseudo pic. Love the before and after comparison.
I was just tickled that she came to position herself head-to-head with her exuvia. I really should buy a macro for our DSLR, as well as a positionable light source, seeing as we all like to post photos. Why should mine not be taken well? LoL.

Latest posts